ZTR leaf collector clog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Nov 5, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

HAd a lot of clogging today on my leaf collector. Its the type that has a belt that hooks onto the blade pulley which drives the chopper blades. Seemed like the belt was not turning as fast as it should especially when I first engaged the blades & got clogged almost immediately. Maybe the belt got stretched somehow, is that possible? Any ideas. Thinking about selling as it seems like more trouble than it is worth because it clogs, hate hooking it up, box is high on th mower. May just stick to mulching the leaves.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How old is the bagger? And i would check the belt tension and filter screen
    in the hopper.
    John

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a JD with a power flow system and it seems to operate like yours. I forget now but it is a certain way the belt has to go on or it is loose and not working like it should. The correct way on mine makes the belt look twisted but it is not. I know I didnt explain it good but check the route of the belt and also check and make sure all the tension springs are on and the linkage isnt frooze up from sitting all year

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like the belt is loose to me. Check the idlers and springs like the other posts said.

5. tinman

from ga

about 2 years old maybe, with not much use. Screen is clear. . Everything seems to be in place, belt route & tensioners. Think I'll go ahead & get a new belt, although that belt is not that old. Thanks

6. John Gamba

from ct

Does the tensioner move freely with the belt off??

John

7. tinman

from ga

Just looked at it again & the tensioner moves fine. The tensioner arm is just a curved metal rod with handle, rod has spring & a hole That allows the rod to move into. Belt looks fine, no cracks or anything. The rod would not be supposed to stay outside the hole would it? To keep it tight all the time? That can't be right.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Can you post a pic??
    John

9. tinman

from ga

pix are attatched.

DSC01005-1.JPG

DSC01014-1.JPG

DSC01015-1.JPG

10. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I was having the same problem with my older dixon. Seems like the fan cannot keep up with the leaves and debri. Maybe it is the belt stretched or something. Either way, I am def. upgrading it.