1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR mounted trimmers, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeereHauler, Jan 26, 2007.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

in my online searching i came across the "trimmer-Z' by PECO. its an electric motor powered trimmer head on your ZTR. its an interesting product, it tilts, and is spring loaded to be moved for transport. i've seen these in mags before but never really paid attention, anyone using something like this???

i have a large property that takes us 3 hours to trim, this would be nice for the endless sidewalks, and curbs. i don't see a huge need on smaller properties. i do have some homes that border wooded areas and every year the weeds, and brush encroach onto my customers properties, so this would be good to use to maintain that brush, without driving my mower into that crap.

any feedback would be great

2. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

other view..

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if i would like getting off the Z every time the string breaks off. Looks kinda like a PITA to me. Since it doesnt hold any reserve string. I dont know though never used one looks like a good idea but id like to try one befor i bought it
  4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

I actually thought about making something like that. Too late, I guess. It looks neat, although it doesn't look like you would be able to mow right up to the edge of the sidewalk or whatever while you are trimming, because there is too much space between the deck and the edge of where the trimmer trims. They could avoid that by mounting it on the front corner so the trimmer's cut lines up with the edge of the mower's cut, and having an easy way to retract it quickly from the seat when it gets in the way. That could certainly save lots of time on some properties.

How do you get the line to advance? How much does it cost?
  5. pclawncare

From looking at the pictures it looks like he may be able to accomplish what you were talking about mowing and trimming atthe sam time buy rotating the base some towards the front. It looks like you custom drill the holes to me. Good idea. I also would like to know price on one of these things?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a pain in the rump i can fly with a string trimmer it's a good idea but it's not practical.
  7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Man I'd smash that thing in no time if i had it. Looks more dangerous than a string trimmer with the guard off. I'll stay with the good ol' handheld trimmer.
  8. pclawncare

Ya it looks like to me it would be a neat gadget and a good idea but i dont know about practical. Looks kinda like one of those things that looks like it would work great but doesnt work that good.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one last year for $199 or so when they were on sale. It is gutless and generally useless. The line is .105 and the motor doesn't have the power to break it off so a single piece should last a good long while. Mine is sitting on a shelf and will stay there until I throw it out.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Richard do you do cemeteries??