ZTR Mower Deck for Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captn, Feb 20, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

I've heard alot about the Exmark patented mulching deck. Compared to Hustler or Scag, what's the difference, and is it worth the extra cash for the Exmark brand? (BTW is Exmark and Toro the same equipemnt?)

I have a ton of time before mowing season starts, so I'm probably overdoing it a little on the research, but it's winter and I ain't got nothin else to do.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had excellent results with the Exmark TriVantage deck found on Turf Tracer HP's and older Lazer Z HP's and I think Metro HP's. The new Toro decks seem very similar. Above 3 1/4" performance drops off as it can't stand the grass up as easily and you get a less clean cut.

My Gravely 144z, once adjusted properly, mulches leaves very well and the kit is much much easier to install/remove than the Exmarks, which have some pretty poor engineering in spots (uses 3 different nut sizes for no apparent reason, some are located in hard to reach spots inside the deck, and the hardware corrodes pretty quickly so you'll need spares around). I have moderate use mulching with the Gravely on non-dormant turf, mostly Tall Fescue, but it seems fine. Not much experience with it on heavy and tall Tall Fescue.

All are subject to the usual limitations of mulching (not taking off too much at once, not mulching wet stuff )

The Toro/Exmark fixed 32" deck doesn't quite do as well but is still acceptable and even great on some types of grass.

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 48" TTHP with the trivantage deck and a 60 Lazer with the ultracut deck. Both of these have mulch kits on them. They both do a very good job but the lazer has a much larger motor on it so I would say that it mulches better that the WB. The WB does a great job but the lazer seems to do just a little bit better.