Ztr Mower Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by re151731, May 11, 2004.

1. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

HELLO ALL! 1 AM NEW TO THE SITE AND WAS HOPING TO ACQUIRE SOME HELP IN SELECTING A ZTR MOWER.I WILL BE CUTTING 3 ACRES OF GRASS WITH SEVERAL TREES,OBSTACLES. I HAVE STARTED RESEARCHING MOWERS AND WAS CONFUSED IF I SHOULD BITE THE BULLET AND GO FOR A COMMERCIAL UNIT, OR A RESIDENTIAL. BEEN LOOKING AT THE JOHN DEERE 717A, A BIT PRICEY!! WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO GO WITHIN A 5,000 DOLLAR BUDGET.

2. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Exmark Lazer CT

44" cut 18hp Kohler. Unit sells right around 5K. Would be a perfect fit for a 3 acre premium residential property.

3. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

Do you think the JD 717 with a 48 inch deck is worth it?

4. keegan99usa

keegan99usa LawnSite Member

Was in the same boat earlier this year. Got into a Husqvarna ZTR 48" deck with a Kawasaki engine. This came with a bagger unit all said and done with tax was $4009. I have used it only 3 times so far, but it cuts my 3 1/2 acres in about 2 hours. WE have numerous trees and landscaping. It used to take 4 1/2 hours with my 44" Kubota garden tractor. You can do a google search for online dealers or find one locally from the Husky website. Kimco has a website showing free shipping with that bagger also (at least it used to, haven't been there in a while)

Good Luck

Keegan

5. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I had same situation. After much research I went with the Hustler 52/20 Fastrak and have zero regrets. It is a great cutting machine and does the job real quick. Pretty much a commercial unit for around 5k. The power is impressive!

6. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

Check out Dixie Chopper Silver Eagles. They are considered as being "Light Commercial" i.e. they are built much stronger than the "homeowner" equipment. I really enjoy mine.

Phil

7. soilsample

soilsample LawnSite Member

what philbarb said......

ps. It is rude to TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

8. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I agree with ccorts..the HUSTLER is a great mower. I own one and love it!!

9. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, how would you rate JD 717 vs the Exmark 52 inch deck with a 23hp Koehlor..

10. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The JD is very good (but pricey, as you indicated). The ExMark and others are also pretty good. I demoed about 11 on my very rough terrain and settled on the Country Clipper. The near-commercial duty JAZee models should run $4-5k (all have rugged, easy flip-up decks and Kawi/Kohler option). If you want to go full-commercial, check out the CC Charger; it starts at just over $5500 and adds 24x12 tires, pivoting front axle and a standard hydro oil cooler. I went with the 23hp/52" with the joystick (try it for more than 15 minutes and you'll be hooked). Good luck!