ZTR Mower, Which One

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by elecmast, Feb 16, 2002.

1. elecmast

elecmast LawnSite Member

First Question

I am in the market (personal use) for a 60" ZTR Hydro. I have checked out the following manufactures. All have a good local dealer network:

Gravely, Toro, Exmark, Scag, Bob Cat

The prices all seem to be very close (Scag the highest (few hundered higher), Bob Cat the lowest (few hunderd lower) al other models around $7500.00 for a 60" or so cutting deck and a Kohler or Kawa. air cooled engine (around 25HP), I've owned a 2 wheel Gravely tractor with a 52" deck and a mechanical steering brake and can get a $2000 trade in if i buy the Gravley ZTR (which does cause me to lean toward them).

Any recommendations?

2nd Question.

Could I get more than $2000 for the Gravely? Its 5 years old, in great condition has a 52" finish deck and a 48" snow plow, dual rear tires and a 16hp Kohler engine. All in very good condition. I paid (probably too much) about $6200 for it new.

Last question.

Is there anyway to buy ZTR's from out of area dealers and get better pricing. Local dealers seem not to be open to negotiation. Would you recommend this (that is buying from out of area) because of service?

Thanks for your help.

2. hogboy

hogboy LawnSite Member

You can almost always get more for your unit if you sell it on your own. What you have to decide is do you want to invest the time and also would you recover more of the cost of the sales tax on the new unit vs. trade in.
    Is the dealer offering you the 2k against list price or his "sales price?"
    Check other same brand dealers in the area or on the internet and call them for prices. Most are willing to quote prices (while still giving them some wiggle room to not tip their hand for their rock bottom price to someone they are not face to face with.) This will give you a little more leverage while trying to get your best deal. All "dealers" are required to service their brand of machine whether you bought it there or not during the warranty period. A few may give you difficulty but a complaint call to the corporate headquarters will take care of that (hopefully it wouldn't come to that.) If you can come within a couple hundred bucks of a deal that is close to home then I would take it for future convenience should you want service there. If you have a Kubota dealer near check their ZTR ZD18 & ZD21. They will run about $1000-$1500 more but you will get hydraulic lift, diesel engine, water cool, suspension seat, shaft drive and they have a nifty jack system built into the front of the mower to raise the deck to clean out & change blades without removing the deck. They are also probably the heaviest units.

3. mowsho

mowsho LawnSite Member

Be careful of that dealers have to service their brandname stuff.
    we do have an agreement with them but there is nothing that says we can't be 3 to 5 weeks behind during the mowing season.

$300.00 dollars that you save by driving all around town can vanish real quick if your mower is sitting at the dealership waiting to be repaired.

If you buy a machine from us we will have it back to you in 24 to 48 hours or we will give you a loaner, BUT ONLY IF YOU BOUGHT IT FROM US. We will always service OUR customers first.

Buy your choice of machine from a dealer you LIKE doing business with. Build a relationship (partnership) with your dealer and it will be the best money you have ever spent.

On the questions.

Exmark mowers work great, easy to use and service.
    As far as the trade in. do you have time to sell it or would it be easier to drop it off at the dealer and drive off.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark is an awesome company with great customer service. You will be extremely happy with the cut, speed, and longevity of this machine.