1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ace 1, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

Starting a new business, Can I get any suggestions on choosing a ZTR? Here is what I have available to me:
    Dixon, Ariens, Gravely, John Deere, Grasshopper (one new and one that is 1 year old - less than 100 hours - $4250), Husqvarna, Snapper, Toro. What is the best value for my money? Looking for something 17 - 20 HP range, 42" - 52" cutting deck, with collection system.
    Thanks All! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Christian, Ace 1
  2. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I would check out the Dixie Choppers before I make a final decision. http://www.dixiechopper.com and find out where your closest dealer. top notch machine like differenc between volkswagon and caddilac good luck
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Skip right over the Dixon and the Ariens in that list. You can probably take the Snapper off of there as well.
  4. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

no dealer within a couple of hundred miles at least 300 so sort of outta luck :(
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a search page here: http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm
    There are lots of posts on these mowers there and all the major brands. You can read what others have said about them. Then go demo them all to see what is best for you. I personally have never bought a mower in my home town. I go to where they have what I want.
  6. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

You should look into the Exmark Product line. They have a mower for every mowing condition.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I would go on a ZTR hunt. Demo as many brands that you are intrested in. Alot of cutters on the forum don't like Snapper. I have had a 52" Walkbehind for 8yrs and have never changed out a spindle or any thing major yet. I also use scag but the snapper walkbehind with loop steering is my alltime favorite. There build is almost like the scag. But i don't care for there riders. So demo the ones you want to find out how they do.Also try a find a dealer that will treat you right. Thats very important. Toro, Exmark, Dixie Chopper,scag,walker,snapper. All make good equipment. Marks Mowing Service
  8. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

Well have been on a ztr huntfor approx. 1 month checked every brand within a couple hour drive would really like to see a dixie chopper but cannot find a dealer any closer than IL. quite aways away so from my choices i believe that the grasshopper to be my best bet and dealer is going to help me it souonds like guess i'll have to take his word.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id go for a grass hopper or a Walker,the others Id skip.have you checked out how far a Ransomes,Toro,or Exmark dealer is?They are all big companys,an should have somone in your area,or at least a lot closer than 300 miles.I buy a lot of my Golf equipment from NJ,about an hr and 1/2 away,but they lbring me a demo-take me to lunch-deliver the new machine-and follow up after,Toro is very good like this-Id buy a Toro long distance any day,but if your thinking about buying a Dixie Chopper long distance,E-mail me private first,I have a Dixie and have first hand experience with calling the factory.
  10. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

went to dc web site and had no zip code for Missouri am only 45 min from springfield hey thanks maybe i will look into the names appreciate all your help