ZTR...Mulch, Bag, Discharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I'm going to be in the market for a ZTR in the spring. I'm leaning towards a 52" in either the Exmark or Scag since that's the good dealers I have around here. My question is what does everyone prefer to do...Mulch, Bag or Discharge? I could see where the discharge would be inconvenient as far as making a mess where you don't want to such as beds. The mulcher would seem to be a good choice, but what about in thicker and taller grass? I'm just wanting to get some input so I can start looking around and deciding on what I want to do.

Thanks,
    BrandonH

2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Since no one has replied I will put my two cents in. Every property is different and so is every property owner too. You may be able to do one thing here but not at another place or the owner wants it done this way. What are YOUR needs for a ZTR should be what you ask. What kinds of properties will this be used for. You need to look at grass types, grass height, sloping of property, is it a high profile area or just open fields. I typically mow alot of Burmuda grass and some Fescue. What I do for one yard may differ completely than from another one. Some I can mulch, others I can discharge the grass (sometimes it means double cutting) and some I do bag (a few, but I compost the grass). Just because some guy back East mulches everything does not mean that will pertain to you. Not sure how large you are or what your budget is, but that is why there are umpteen different mowers on the market now. Obviously you have made a choice for a 52" and not sure why you would limit yourself to Exmark or Scag (is a local dealer there) since Houston should have all the major dealers. Not trying to discourage your purchase just thinking you should tailor the mower to what your needs are and purchase on your needs. I have a mix of mowers, each one has a purpose or certain area they work better than others. Good luck on your ZTR purchase. I too will be shopping this winter/spring.

3. MasterForm

MasterForm LawnSite Member

My product addresses EXACTLY this issue.

For years of lawn mowing, I faced the very challanges you stated.

The bagged lawns took too long.
    Mulched lawns left clumps too often.
    The discharged lawns got clippings all over the place.

The answer?
    After trying different methods (contantly) and years of feild testing, we're proud to offer the MasterChute.

www.masterchute.com

4. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

The only reason I'm leaning towards Scag or Examrk is because I already own a scag wb and love it, and everyone else around my area seems to really like their exmarks. The dealer that I bought my scag from is extremely helpful and keeps a good inventory, so if possible I'd like to stick with them. I have to admit I've never even been on a ZTR of any brand so when it comes time to purchase I will definitely go try everyone that I can find out.

-Brandon

5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Brandon as I was scanning through some posts I noticed you had posted this "I'm also part-time now with just a few accounts and only have a walk-behind. I'm really hoping to build up quickly this spring so I can justify that $10k mower though.-Brandon" I would not go in debt for a ZTR for only part-time mowing. If you have a good walk behind and it is doing good than stick with it. Save your money so when you do need a ZTR you can pay cash and not finance it. Looking to the future is good but don't look too far. At least you have a long growing season to keep you busy.

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

P&C,

I've been part-time up to now...I plan on going full-time this next spring. I'm in the process of printing new business cards and various advertising material. I'm trying to acquire a few commercial accounts if possible...and more than likely I won't be able to keep up with a 36" wb.

-Brandon