1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ztr On Slopes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by inveresk, Mar 11, 2008.

1. inveresk

inveresk LawnSite Member

I've been advised by a dealer that ztr's perform worse on slopes than lawn tractors. I also read the same on Consumer Search's web site (http://www.consumersearch.com/www/lawn_and_garden/lawn-tractors/review.html). I have 11 acres of which about two are under grass, some pasture, some lawn. I have a Kubota L3130 with 72" rfm which is good for both when the lawn is bone dry but, with water filled tires, the tractor tends to cut the lawn up if it's at all wet. I can't drain the tires as I have a front loader which I need to use year round so am looking to buy a suitable machine for the lawn areas. I have some slopes, probably around 10%, and some ditches that it would be really useful to be able to use a ride on to mow. I also have quite a few trees and obstacles I need to mow around. I've attached a shot of the major area of lawn. The pasture is a good deal rougher.

I'd appreciate advice on the performance merits of ztr's vs. lawn tractors. I was looking at the Toro Z500, the Exmark and the like but perhaps these machines aren't suitable?

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where's the slope?
  3. inveresk

inveresk LawnSite Member

There's a 12/12 bank about fifteen feet high and about 60 feet long out of camera angle to the left. That's the worst area. Behind the carport l(eft background) there's a slope around 20% which is about around forty feet long.
  4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

If by "12/12 bank" you mean 45 degrees, that's way too steep for a ZTR. If 20% slope means 11.3 degrees, a ZTR should have no problem going up, down or sideways. My opinion is that anything steeper than 20 degrees should be avoided when cutting with a ZTR. But nothing I see in your photo looks like it fits that description. It's hard to tell, however, from just looking at a picture.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

if your that worried about a slope then just cut that area with a wb
  6. captn

captn LawnSite Member

An LT is sure going to handle the slope better.....but for speed, I agree with GNC, cut with the ZTR what you can. Use a WB for the rest and save yourself an hour couple hours.
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a ztr with a deck not bigger than 60", on the small areas you are talking about, if you can't mow them with that, a weedeater will finish in minutes. Don't get a big deck, as it looks like you have some undulating, rolling ground, that bigger decks tend to scalp. My 2 cents for free.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are worried about using a zero on a slope, dont do it. Better safe than sorry. I dont use my ZTraks on any slopes more than 10%...thats what I have a tractor for!
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I cant see anything in the pic that you couldnt mow with a ztr.
  10. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

By not handling slopes they mean that it is hard to hold one one a STEEP hill going across it not up and down. I cut extremely steep stuff everyday not a problem at all.