ZTR on wet/soggy grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I am inexperienced when it comes to using a ZTR so I really do not know what their limits are. I have this one yard that is almost always soggy. I would say in about 1/4 of the lawn you can hear a squishing sound when you walk. It will hold water for atleast 3-4 days after only a small rain. I have always mowed this lawn with my push mower, but next year I am going to be cutting with my new 34Z. Will I damage the turf using my 34Z on it? Do you think it would be OK if I am always sure to cut in different directions every week? I would continue to use my 21" but this a pretty big lawn that takes me about and hour to mow with my 21". How do you guys handle these situations? I do not want to drop this account because the lady always pays me on time and has plenty of work for me.

Thanks... :)

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually try to cut lawns that usually stay wet after lunch if possible. I think that you should still be able to cut with the Z but just go a little slower and make wide turns.

3. Husky03

That is good to hear. I usually had to bag the grass when I was using the 21" because there was some clumping problems. I hope with the ZTR I will be able to mulch with no clumps. I never want to bag again.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You better be careful with the 34Z because the tires are narrow.

5. Husky03

Envy: will narrow tires cause the grass to rip easier? There are no hills on this property.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, I really wouldn't say that. The narrower tires put more PSI ground pressure.

7. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

your going to end up leaving ruts in the yard from the weight of the mower. That mower weighs close to 800 lbs before you sit on it. So on a soggy lawn, this is a no win situation with a Z. You may get away with alternating the mowers. That what I have to do frequently even on lawns that are not soggy.

8. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree strongly. I have a yard here that is St. Augustine and there are a couple of low spots that hold water for quite some time after it rains. My JD 717 leaves nice wide black streaks on the lawn. You can eliminate them, by of all the things in the world, spraying water on them. It dissipates the mud. It looks pretty bad after its done if I don't put the sprinklers on. Try to avoid mowing when wet. Thats my .02

Phil

9. Husky03

The mower weighs around 925 lbs with me on it full of fuel.

DSIM: You rotate form Z to push every other week? I would think if it is going to leave ruts it would not make a difference the ruts would still be there even if you rotated.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What type of soil? Clay will compact more. Really should avoid putting weight on a wet lawn as it comapcts soil particles. See if you can't talk them into an arification program as well. Rolling ocasionally will reduce the ruts but still will add to compaction. I used to have this problem with a clay soil and finally ended up just tilling it one year with sand and turface profile. Floation tires would have made the mower too wide for the gates and just wasn't feasible for the cost involved. If lawn has been waterlogged a long time it might not look that great, maybe you could sell a renovation?