ZTR Operation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shane7258, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I own a snapper pro commercial fast back ztr with a 48 inch deck I am having problems with humps and damage to the lawn what can I do better. I am killing the grass with the deck bottoming out. How are yo u sappose to take rolling terrain?
    Ray

2. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Hi there... I don't run a Z but have operated them for other contractors and suggest slowing down and raising your cutting height. I know you likely figured this out already but thought I'd point it out. They're hard to get used to and each machine has it's own issues but productivity is king in this business and they can be fast... you just need to know when to slow down.

Dave

3. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not familar with the Snapper ZTR, but does it have a "fixed" deck because that might be the promblem.

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Slow Down , Lower The Anti Scalp Rollers, Air Up The Tires, Check For Bent Blades, Check For Failing Blade Spindles, Is The Deck Or Frame Bent ? Personally I Would Get Rid Of The Snapper And Get A Exmark Lazer Or A Bobcat Z. All The Best Companies In My Area Use Them. Not Really Any Pros Here Using Snapper Here. By The Way We Have Some Super Pricey Real Eastate Here, People Are Super Picky. Most Lawns Are Far From Flat And Smooth, But The Big 60 And 72 Inch Ztr Machines Are On All The Trailers.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My old friend Eric ELM helped me setup my first Z. I was having the same problems due to warm season grasses. Most people with cool season grasses don't understand the way warm season grasses, especially Bermuda, grow. If you go by the way the MFG says to setup the anti scalp rollers you will be off. Get the mower on level ground, pick your normal cut height, then set the anti scalps at 1/4" above the ground. This will eliminate almost all the scalping(brown out) on bermuda and Zoysia.