ZTR operation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wall, Jun 3, 2007.

1. wall

wall LawnSite Member

I have had my ZTR about 2 months now and I ‘m curious about how others operate. I just mow our own property about 3 acres and it’s just ¼ acre yard, barnyard and entrance. Nice grass but not a golf course. Except for the front yard if I tear the turf a little it’s no big deal no worse than what the tractors do.

When you “U” turn your ZTR (let’s say right)

Slow the right side only.
    Slow the right side, speed up the left. (What I have a habit of doing)
    Stop right side.
    Reverse right side.
    Speed up the left side only. (What I am trying to get in the habit of doing)
    Y turns only.
    Some combination of these.
    What ever I happen to do at the time.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Best to keep both wheels moving at all times and not pivot on one of them. If only one wheel is turning your tearing up turf because your twisting the other while it has stopped.
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

When I make a right hand turn, I put the Right wheel in Reverse and left wheel in foward motion. To always have all wheels movign.
  4. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

same as above , keep all the wheels in motion , even if it is slow. you can also try a 3 pt turn similar to in a car, so as to never put pressure on just one spot.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly !..all wheels moving at all times
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

3 point turn end of story.
  7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed on that 3pt. The only way to turn, and not tear. Otherwise you're doing a hack job.

3 pt turns take longer.. but, you're doing it right, and it's easier on the pumps. Does your customer really want to look out their window and see you doing a "zero" turn in their lawn at 10mph?