ZTR Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vtx1300, Mar 8, 2005.

1. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Hey - what a great site!

I have a new yard that is around 1.5 acre in total size but grass/yard size is only around .6 -.7 acre.

For me ... it's a big yard and I need to move away from my little Honda Harmony and buy a ZTR before the grass starts growing!

So, I've said my budget is $2500-$3300 approx. I have been really impressed with the Gravelys. After going to look at the Gravelys - again - they had the Ariens out there. (I was a former Ariens home owner lawn mowever back in the early '80s and it was great - so, I have good memories of that brand).

So, now I'm considering the Ariens ... and I really don't want to spend too much more than the budget listed.

The ARIENS ZOOM 1540 is what I am really considering. The other option that shoots me above the $3K mark is the ZOOM 1740.

I want a 40" deck because I have quite a few trees -- and don't want to get too big a deck. Plus, I want to be able to transport this in my pickup as well and I think this size will be ok.

So... in your opinions -- would this be a good machine?

Should I really consider the Toro Timecutter Z?

Those look like the only two that are close in that price range.

Reason for the ARIENS - on my list is it has a welded deck, has a KOHLER engine ...

Thoughts, opinions ... guidance - really wanted!! :)

TIA.

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I looked at the Toro Z at Home Depot and felt it was just okay. It was a 17hp with 42" cut for 2999. Definitely mid-homeowner grade. The Arien I test drove was 2148, so it was larger than the 1740, but I did see the 1740 there. I felt the Ariens is a superior looking mower than the Toro Z (i.e. not the Toro ZX). The test ride of the Ariens was very smooth. If you are seriously considering the Toro Z, you should consider the Cub Cadet for the same amount, but with a 22 hp and a 52" cut. It is a stamped deck and similar quality (my opinion) as the Toro Z. This sells at both Lowes and Tractor Supply. Good luck in your search and staying in your price range!

3. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Ariens and Gravely are the same company and I believe that their homeowner models are identical. There were some recent threads on the Ariens and cub cadet models in the $3K price range. My opinion is the Ariens/Gravely is probably the best you can buy for that price range. The general consensus is the cub cadet and toro timecutter is on the very low end of the homeowner models.

If you were to jump up to the 4-5K range then the Hustler Fastrak would win hands down. I believe in spending more up front for the quality and longevity.

4. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Thanks for your thoughts.

You both are thinking similar to how I am thinking.

The #3 Toro - #2 Ariens/Gravely Homeowner s - #1 Hustler ... kind of how I was ordering them in terms of just pure quality etc. But, once I put the $$s in the equation, to me the ARIENS/Gravely (s) start looking pretty nice for the cost.

The Hustler/Mini Fastrack I was considering start at around $3900 and that is about $1000 more than I want to spend ...

And, for what I'm doing -- not sure I think the $1K is worth it ... but - comparing the ARIENS and TORO ... there might be $200-$300 difference -- and I can see differences there with engine/deck ...

Maybe should go look at the Hustlers just to make sure. Geesh - I know - being a stinking man - that I will want the Hustler!

Thanks again!!

5. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

If you haven't already check this thread out. I had started it last week when I was researching. I got a really low quotes on the Hustler Mini-Fastrak 17/42 for $3295 (Kohler) and a 16/42 with a Honda for $3600. One really important thing that I hated about the Cub and would probably be the same on the low-end Toro is the PTO (blade) disengages when in reverse. This was a deal kill for me. If I were you and you could get a similar deal (17/42 for 3295) I would get the Mini Fastract over the Ariens.

6. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Well, that price isn't too bad! One of the local dealers here told me starting @ $3900 or approx -- that's without haggling ... just over phone.

Interesting... I will have to go look at a Hustler. I have a friend who used to be in the distribution business and he's seeing what he can find out for me too. He thinks a Scag or Hustler are the best -- in his opinion.

BTW, the ARIENS didn't release the PTO in reverse ... it kept on running. I want that feature -- where it stays on too.

Thanks Advance!

7. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

BTW, yeah - I saw your thread. I'm going to re-read it again... I just saw the larger sizes and more $$s so just scanned it. Thanks.

8. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

"Interesting... I will have to go look at a Hustler. I have a friend who used to be in the distribution business and he's seeing what he can find out for me too. He thinks a Scag or Hustler are the best -- in his opinion."

Well when you start talking about the Scag then you are jumping from homeowner models to straight commercial. There is a difference but then so is the price. The smallest Scag (Tiger Cub) starts right at $6K and goes up from there. Same with the Hustler commercial models. The Hustler fastrack is considered a residential model but it is still built very well.

9. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Hey Rob - well, the $6K is WAY too much for me. That was just my buddy's thought and what HE would WANT. I'd probably WANT it too ... but I gotta remember ... this is just for cutting my stinking grass and doing it in a timely fashion. So, the Ariens .. maybe the Hustler might end up in my garage! :)

10. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Advance -- saw your pics of your Hustler ... nice!

How did you get those quotes on the Mini-Fastrak for $3295 ?? For that cost, I'd consider doing that so just curious who you talked to on that -- if you can give me that info...

Thanks.