1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR or Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ryan41, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at getting a Gravely ZTR or Stander in spring. I went to a trade show last week and now i cant decided between the two. The only thing that i am worried about the ZTR is the hills. Let me know what you guys think?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ztr if you over 40.*trucewhiteflag*

3. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

never used a stander but i love my ztr. i use the ultra vac in the spring and fall a ton and will be carrying it on the trailer this year due to picking up a pool. i know you can use a standard bagger that fits on a walkbehind but they fill up fast especially with a big deck. i would like to add a stander in the future they have their place but if i had to choose i would choose the ztr its very versatile. again i havnt used one but i could see where a stander would hurt your knees on rough terrain.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Only get a stander to save space in the tailer or shed. It is tough standing up all the time. And I think Gravely and some of the other new standers have a lot to prove yet. Only get Scag or Wright standers.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends on the size of your accounts. I have found a stander is extremely productive under 1/2 acre. After that a ZTR will save you a bunch of time. Gravely makes a great stander and ZTR.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mrkomedy

Mrkomedy LawnSite Member

I have an exmark advantage stand on does great but I will warn you you can bust ya ass on one till you get used to it unseen holes are a sob otherwise great machine!

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a Great Dane 61" Super Surfer ( which is a stander ) for years. I have a walk behind, a zrt, and a front deck mower as well. Each has its advantages in one manner or another, but if I only took one mower out it would be the stander. :usflag:I told Mr. Wright himself when I met him in Louisville at the expo that if they made a 61" Stander with a diesel engine, I could get rid of all my other mowers.