ZTR or Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ryan41, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at getting a Gravely ZTR or Stander in spring. I went to a trade show last week and now i cant decided between the two. The only thing that i am worried about the ZTR is the hills. Let me know what you guys think?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ztr if you over 40.*trucewhiteflag*

3. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

never used a stander but i love my ztr. i use the ultra vac in the spring and fall a ton and will be carrying it on the trailer this year due to picking up a pool. i know you can use a standard bagger that fits on a walkbehind but they fill up fast especially with a big deck. i would like to add a stander in the future they have their place but if i had to choose i would choose the ztr its very versatile. again i havnt used one but i could see where a stander would hurt your knees on rough terrain.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Only get a stander to save space in the tailer or shed. It is tough standing up all the time. And I think Gravely and some of the other new standers have a lot to prove yet. Only get Scag or Wright standers.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends on the size of your accounts. I have found a stander is extremely productive under 1/2 acre. After that a ZTR will save you a bunch of time. Gravely makes a great stander and ZTR.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mrkomedy

Mrkomedy LawnSite Member

I have an exmark advantage stand on does great but I will warn you you can bust ya ass on one till you get used to it unseen holes are a sob otherwise great machine!

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a Great Dane 61" Super Surfer ( which is a stander ) for years. I have a walk behind, a zrt, and a front deck mower as well. Each has its advantages in one manner or another, but if I only took one mower out it would be the stander. :usflag:I told Mr. Wright himself when I met him in Louisville at the expo that if they made a 61" Stander with a diesel engine, I could get rid of all my other mowers.