ztr or w.b.?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am about to buy my first realy nice mower,but the question is do i get a ztr or w.b. with a velkie?I have heard some people swear by both so what do you think.This will be my primary mower all next season.Most of my lawns are small to medium size and fairly open.Only one large commercial one.

p.s.the w.b. seams to be slightly cheaper and the closest dealers are scag,toro,snapper and husqvarna.Oh there is a wal-mart lol.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try a wb as my first mower.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A ZTR is usually twice as productive as a W/B. The downside is that the cost is a lot more than a W/B. If you can swing the payments, get a ZTR. Most of us that have ZTR's , started with a W/B. If you can skip that step, you'll be ahead real fast!

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start with a walk behind with a velky. You can get a good wb for a lot less money than a ZTR. If you can afford it get a hydro wb, they cost more, but will be more efficient and easier to operate. Take into consideration if your areas have a lot of gated yards make sure the mower will fit threw the gates. Personally I would get a Scag, but you should demo and choose the best dealer. The dealer you choose is as important as the brand of mower, especially if this is your primary mower. If it goes down, you want to have it repaired with little or no down time.

Adam,
    Lovell's Lawn Care

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends on the lawns you have to do and plan to do. Can you fit a ZTR on them? It's not much good to have if you can't use it. You can always use a wb on a wide open property (at reduced efficiency) but if a ZTR won't fit or is inappropriate for a property then you're not able to use it at all.

You can either go with a ZTR and a 21" for smaller properties, steep slopes, and gates, or a wb. The ZTR will be necessary eventually if you're doing more than small lawns. But if you have lawns to do that the ZTR can't handle, then you need to get the wb first.

I consider mowing with a ZTR "resting" compared to using a wb or doing other types of lawn work. So I highly recommend it.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

a wb will be a good starting machine. geta 48" belt drive with a sulky,it will make quick work out of most of your accounts.

later when you get more-you can move up to a zero turn machine.

best of luck to you;)

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

All good advice, but only YOU can decide what fits YOUR situation. I have owned and used both a Z rider and w/b and for ME a w/b fits the best. This may not be true for someone else. Like it has been said on here many times, DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. The best of luck to you.

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so mutch for all the advice and please keep it up.:)

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a walk behind first. You are going to find out that there are certain places a ZTR just can't go. My guys are even getting to the point that they like the walk behinds better then the ZTR's.

10. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

I agree with ECM, I would go with a wb. If you want to do a steep hillside you won't want to be riding. I think that some of the guys around here that only use ztr's are to the point where they can pick and choose their accounts for a ztr, or they are to lazy to stand up, or they did not think about the versatility of the wb when they made their purchase. After your account base is built up you will probably need the speed of a ztr, but a wb is always the most versatile machine. If you can't pick and choose yet GET A WALK BEHIND !!