ZTR or Walk-Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I mow about 12 condos and have a good chance of adding 2-4 next year. They are pretty small lawns in the front. Each condo is connected to another on. Each building is two condos and the lawns connect in the back. I'll probably continue to mow the front with a 21", but I would like to use a 36" Walk-Behind or ZTR on the back since the way they look is not so important. The guy that used to mow used a rider on the back. He had to quit this year because he got cancer. He lives in one of the condos, but his wife still mows. Anyways, should I try getting a 36" and 48" Walk-Behind or should I get a 36" or 42" ZTR. Is the ZTR going to cut as nice or would it be smarter to get two cutting machines of different sizes? Thanks for any input.

2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i would go with a 36 inch hydro walk behind. it is extremely manueverable and i dont think that anybody makes a commercial ztr that is 36 to 42 inches except for the gravely 34z. however if you want a 44 inch then most companies do make one.

good luck

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but why get such a small ztr ???
    I'd opt for the 48" wb myself, but 44" is the smallest wb I'll buy, any smaller just doesn't cut enough grass / path.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

I'm mowing alot of small properties right now and can't use something very big. Plus, I'll have to finance whatever I do get since I will be buying alot of other things for next year (trailer, trimmer racks, new trimmer, spreader, hedge trimmers, Toro 21" Commercial, etc). I do mow other yards besides the condos, that is just a major part in my thinking process. I'd like to jump to a 48", but then I am dealing with a 21" and 48". What about the yards where a 48" won't fit and a 36" will, but a 21" takes way too long?

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but you mow all these accounts, i hate to nag but you better get legal pal...read this thread from today... no insurance and he could lose it all, or should i say your parents will, i even offered to help you but you want to try and operate outside the law...... what if you get turned it.....that happens too...eveyone here has your ip address, i wouldnt do it, but someone in your area would, you better beleive they would, this is a cut throat business....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=113242

6. Howie's Lawn Care

I've heard alot of people on here say most insurance companies won't sell insurance to you unless you have been in business for four years. Is this true? I planned on getting insurance and licensed next year. If you can't get insurance for four years, then how can you get in trouble for not having it? I'll go to the small business website and request the packet this evening, but is that all you need. Business license, vendor's license, and insurance? Am I missing something?

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure no expert in this area, but I suspect each state, and perhaps each municipality or other local jurisdiction may have different requirements.

As for the insurance, I think the four-year thing probably falls in the same category as an urban legend. I bought mine through an independent agent, from Cameron. One million in liability, and inland marine coverage on all my equipment. Just makes good sense to protect yourself. Just call an independent agent in your local yellow pages, or several, and I'm betting one or more of them can get you the coverage you need. Neill

8. Howie's Lawn Care

Thanks man, I'll call for quotes on Monday. I just got my small businees kit, downloaded it. I'm reading everything over right now.

9. Howie's Lawn Care

Thanks man, I'll call for quotes on Monday. I just got my small businees kit, downloaded it. I'm reading everything over right now.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag makes a 36 ztr 19 kawasaki,don't buy a wb none of them come with electric start.