ZTR or Walkbehind???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We just sold our Yazoo 3-wheel. We have 36 residential and 4 commercial accounts. We have a 52" Woods ZTR and I don't know whether to get a walkbehind or another ZTR. I have been told the importance and the versatility of a walkbehind but I would also love to have the extra cutting of a bigger deck. I am really torn between the two. Please help with your experience.
    Thanks,
    Lawnshark :confused:

2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

If $$$ is an important factor then consider a WB- belt driven ones are cheaper, break down less and and are simple for most crew members to run.

Another Z would give you exact back up redundancy. Not a small concern when you've got large important accounts. Then there is the aftermarket/spare parts consideration. Getting another Z help you in buying bulk on these items.

At 5 AM this is all the items I could think to post. Need more coffee.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

3. If you can take a ZTR everywere and anywere go for it.

If not then I suggest a Hydro WB.

You will notice an increace in production over the Yazoo with either one.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Another choice may be a stander. There are three now with the new John Deeres.

The new JD looks a lot like a Wright Stander - which was designed by Dane Scag (I believe) - only with fenders and a 7 iron deck,which floats.

They are cheaper than a ' Z' , take up little trailer space, and looks like it would be a lot better for hills. ;)

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

on my accounts, i can take the ztr anywhere a walkbehind will go. i think you should just go for the ztr. youll be more productive.

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Alta
    Where did u see these new John Deere ZTR's??? I've been waiting to see the new Deere/Dane mowers for over a year now. If you know of a website i could see the new ZTR's post them, cause i dont think they r on the Deere website yet???
    Thanks
    Matt

7. mdb landscaping

they have a picture of one in the new issue of landscape and irrigation. dont know if you have that magazine, but they have a pic and a paragraph about it.

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have that magazine, but do they have a website that maybe they would have a picture of it?? Otherwise i guess ill find it sooner or later on here or somewhere
    Thanks,
    Matt

9. mdb landscaping

they give an 800 number if you want information on the product.

call 1-800-537-8233 and maybe they can mail you some info.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
    I stopped by the JD dealer, and he made a copy of a dealer memo with pics and brief description. I'll try to scan it in and link it.
    Just picture a Wright stander, with fenders, and a 7-iron deck held by chains. The rear tires are behind the user,(just like a Wright Stander) and the front casters bolt on (just like a Stander).
    It has Kawasakis (I think 20-23hp, but not sure) and 48" to 60" cut - it doesn't look anything like a Dane super surfer really.
    It's due in at dealers in March of '02, so the real literature should be out in January or Feburary. :cool: