ztr or walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Son69, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Son69

Son69 LawnSite Member

Hello, i am having a dilemma. I finally have enough lawns to justify a 2nd mower. Most of my accounts are about a 1/2 acre, three are about 2 acres. I am currently using a scag 48"/17hp wb, and am happy with it but i do get a little tired using it. I would like to stay in the 48" range, maybe a little bigger. I do bag from time to time, especially in the fall for leaves, and the bagger for the wb is a pain in the A@%. Is there a big enough advantage to having a ZTR or is another wb the way to go. Ether way I would go scag or exmark.

2. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a velkie for your walkbehind? If so and you don't get too tired using that then get another one. I have a 60" ztr and love it. All you do is move your arms. I know you don't want anything bigger than 48" but there are plenty of quality ztr's out there at 48".
    Now to choose betwen the two is the hard part. Do a search on this site, you will find plenty of opinions. Best of luck

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you will be using the mower to bag leaves in the fall I would definately go with a ztr. Make sure the collection system has the fan on it (whether it runs of the mowing deck or off of its own engine, it doesn't matter), that will help tremendously when you have leaves. With a ztr you will for sure be able to speed up some of your lawns, especially the larger ones. Like capnsac said, there are many ztrs that have decks 48"-56" range.

4. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

i would get a 50's scag turf tiger ztr.

5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I have been doing all my yards with a walk behind. This week I upgraded to a ZTR and I feel I could add another 30 yards to my route.

My knee jerk reaction is if you have the square footage to cover, a ZTR is much more efficient.

6. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

if you have a 48 why would you get another 48 and if you have some properties that big i wouldnt even consider getting one smaller than 60 then you use the 48 on the yards that need it and the 60 on everything else

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a ztr you will be taking a step up.

8. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

9. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

the best mower for you would be the 54 inch tank with a bagger , i belive that bagger holds more then the others .............good luck .... the bigger the cut the worst of a cut .........

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you will deffinitly be more productive with a ZTR