1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR overseeder attachment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfGuyTX, Aug 21, 2002.

1. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Has anyone seen an overseeder attachment for a ZTR? Thanks for any help.
  2. TurfGuyTX

from DFW

Anything? Anybody?
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I know I've never seen one before. I mean i've seen things like dethatchers, that's about the closest I would think. I'm sure it is possible to build your own and try it out????????
  4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I was thinking about the same thing, but I don't think the make an "all-in-one" type attachement ... yet.
    JRCO has both the tine rake atatchment, which I use for setting the seed after I aerate and put the seed down with a w/b rotary spreader (Lesco stainless highwheel). But you might be able to fit both the JRCO tine rake and their spreader attachemnt on the same machine at the same time with a bit of adjustments, but I am not sure that the spreader would throw the seed out far enough past the tines to allow them to be raked in.
    Dont know it this helps....
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean a spreader?
  6. Is that what that thing is called?

7. It will throw it out far enough but one problem, you would have to remove all the thatch prior to spreading seed to get any germination out of the seed. Also when you run any type of thatcher you get what is called "thatch", thatch and seed don't mix real well.
  8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

So what would be the recomended way to get the seed to germ?

If there isn't much of a thatch layer, wouldn't the tines break it up and allow the seed to fall and germinate?
  9. TurfGuyTX

from DFW

Those are good set-ups, but not what I'm hoping for. I've seen small walk behind overseeders. (they slice the soil and insert seed) and large tractor towable models. Just nothing in between.
  10. Oh your talking about the Lesco Renovator, Ryan Mataway, Jacobson Aero-king, Classen Drillseeder. 3pt ones Landpride, and others

Slit seeders or Aerators?