ZTR Owners: How much deck sway does your mower have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MJB, Jul 1, 2013.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Im noticing my mowers are getting more swing in the deck by that I mean when I push on the side of the deck how much movement should it have.

Please test yours and tell me the age of the machine and the brand and how much movement it has.

Im having issues with my older mowers when side hilling a little I notice the deck cuts lower on the low side even though the tire pressure is all the same, and the deck is leveled. Anyone else notice 1 side cutting lower whenever going around a tree the otherside drops lower than the rest of the lawn?

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Mine has near 0 kubota zd326 2 years old with 920 hrs. My 721d grasshopper also has zero and its a 94 with 1900 hrs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think every mower deck out there moves side to side a little bit when you push it with your foot or something. it's not much though.

4. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

My Kubota ZD331 does not sway.

5. MJB

from Wa

Talking mainly about Midmount mowers. Im noticing on my Exmarks my oldest has 4500 hrs and I have replaced the back deck stabalizers but it swings about an inch so I put in some spacers and now its about 1/2 inch but I didn't measure it. But if you can swing it on the level how does it effect the cut on a hillside its going to move with gravity obviously. My Outlaw is newer and pretty tight, the CZT Im looking at has absolutley no swing which I like.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

If your deck hangs by chains its going to sway.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MJB

from Wa

True, But how much swing does a new Exmark Lazer Z deck swing verses an older one. Obviously something is causing these cutting issues and the deck swing is the obvious thing that sticks out to me. How much swing is ok before issues start.

I should ask somone with a new Lazer maybe, where is Tommy ?

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

While doing hills your do have mower roll to account for too. It will throw off pich as well and roll the deck sideways.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. MJB

from Wa

Im noticing the problem on the same lawns Ive mowed for years with these mowers, seems like the exmarks are both doing it but both cut great on flat ground. Maybe Im just getting senile.... I even checked the front wheel bearings for wear and tightened up.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

If theres swing in the deck, wouldnt that make the lower side cut a fraction higher? Its trying to find level but is stopped but the chains and pusher arms etc.
    I noticed quite a bit of movement on my SZ. Havent measured it but I'd say close to an inch. It only has 370hrs.

But I do hear what your saying though. I get terracing while traversing a slope or hill. always have even when new and no movement.

Just for testing, why dont you max out the tire pressure and see if it changes anything.