ZTR Owners: How much deck sway does your mower have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MJB, Jul 1, 2013.

1. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

With the rain I noticed a bit of scalp/lining on hills too. Our z200 is 10yrs and 2300hrs has about 1.5" side to side. No front to back. The 2010 z500 just got 500 hrs service has about an inch side to side. No front to back. The decks both move side to side but they don't rock or teeter on there mounts.

Like the idea about tire pressure, I run em lower for handling and traction.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I only mention it for testing only! No way would I run what, 20-30psi in them all the time, NO WAY! My backs bad enough!:cry:

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I did that on the front tires but tommorrow I will put more than 13 the rear tires.

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

01' Lazer Z 676hrs, 3/4" of deck sway

5. MJB

from Wa

Thanks ! mine is a 99 with slightly more hrs 4000 more and was about 2 " of sway before i tightened it up.

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

These old lazers are tanks. Hope yours never dies! Hope mine gets to similar hours as yours. You most definately have gotten your moneys worth

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here I am!

On the old Lazers, the trick was to replace the deck struts, but when doing so, replace the inner bolt on rod with a long 5/8" ( I think???) grade 5 or 8 bolt and tighten it. This brings in the deck strut mount ears, and takes THAT play out (the deck ears that the struts center into....their holes wallow out and the factory rod will be loose). This removed most.

The newer Lazers use a totally different system with a Panhard bar system. It uses rubber bushings in the struts and bars. Very tight, no side to side at all.

My old lazer, even with the bolt trick still had a lot of slop. Those struts aren't made to be super tight as they need to allow the deck to float. They are often grease neglected, and when the are greased, they aren't wiped clean and dirt gets in and wears things out quick.

8. MJB

from Wa

i got an offer to sell it for $2500 but it made me $1000 bucks just last week, but it will last another 1000 hrs easy i keep it inside and it still looks good for the age.

9. MJB

from Wa

Thanks tommy, the new struts have a long pin with a bolt on 1 end to hold it inplace, but i put a washer between the end of the strut and the deck on each side and removed most of the sway.

Im not gonna buy another exmark until i see how the economy is. But i will be picking up a new BB that cuts and stripes as well as my exmarks, but the only question will be durability but for $6900 after taxes out the door I can buy 2 for the price of an exmark.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, remove that long pin, measure it (either 5/8" or 3/4") and measure how long you'll need. They're not cheap, but this DOES remove the slop. You'll need 2 new deck struts as well. When you tighten this LONG bolt (nylock nut), tighten it good enough to squeeze the ears in! Then back off a bit, and snug again. This will eliminate the slop between the wallowed out ear holes and the new bolt.

Should last another 1K hours if greased cleanly.

My Hustler was starting to get a little loose but nowhere near that of the old Lazer. The hustlers have a much larger strut assembly.