ZTR pre-sales question (RE: Pricing)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bigtoga, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bigtoga

bigtoga LawnSite Member

This is my first time buying a big boy mower. I suspect that it's like buying a car - there's the sticker price and then there's the price you actually pay. Am I right, or does everyone just pay sticker for their ZTRs?

If it matters, I'm considering purchasing this from a small franchise that is locally owned.

Thanks!

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

if it's your first purchase from a dealer, don't expect much as far as discount, unless it's a demo.... it took 2 ztrs, 3 walk behinds, and a couple push mowers before my dealer started giving any "deals". You may want to check out what the manufacturer offers as far as discounts, I have heard of dealers who don't pass on manufacturer deals unless mentioned.

3. bigtoga

bigtoga LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I've found a mower I like and I think I'll ask for $100 off (which isn't much but it's something!).

4. sprinter

sprinter LawnSite Member

From my recent experience, there is some variation in dealer prices and flexibility, but not a whole lot. Most will entertain offers of a few hundred less than asking depending on the original price, say 200 off of a $5200 mower. They also can give you extras like the first service free, a set of blades, etc. That's pretty common. There's a lot more variation in used or last year's holdovers.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

the biggest and best deals I've found have been with off season demos. My dealer has let some Lazer Zs go for a couple thousand below retail, sometimes more, models with less than 50 hours. He also does a full service w/new blades before going out the door and your next service for free.

6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

$100 is about what you might see. My last mower was a whim, I saw it, threw a number at him(Reasonable) and he made a face, thought about it, made the face again and said if I paid with cash, he could do it. Everyone is different. I was happy and sad at the same time. I really did not need the mower, but I wanted it. I was kinda hoping he turned it down, I was not going any higher.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  7. sprinter

sprinter LawnSite Member

He's right about the cash. There are two reasons to offer cash. Many times, the price quoted assumes a low or no % financing, especially if there is a financing incentive going on. Those cost money. Cash avoids those charges. Also, dealers hate credit card fees which can be around 3% or so (?). Almost any dealer will, or should, discount for cash. The time of season counts, too. This is probably the worst time to buy something seasonal like this unless there is a demo or something.

And don't let Capemay Eagle fool you. He loves his Hustler! (assuming that's the one he's talking about).