ZTR problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, May 18, 2007.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Just curious as to what is the most common problem you have experienced with a ZTR. I mean as far as a certain part failing or what takes the most wear and is most often replaced.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

On mine it was the spindles.Sand and sealed bearings dont mix very well.Until I made them greaseable. As far as what you replace most often, I would say oil, filters plugs, the belts, rear drive tires....

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't got but 40-odd hours on mine, luckily not much has gone wrong in that time :laugh:

I would check it over regularly, they do seem a hardy bunch, especially compared to the Wb, I'm sure the parts are pricier to make up for that but keep up on it, look it over from time to time and make sure all is good, so long it doesn't get away from you it shouldn't be too bad.

So far it's been oil and filters and blades have been the most in terms of maintenance, couple of flat tires.

The only problem I have with it is top speed mowing, the deck won't stay down and the front wheels take a beating, but practice is the key here, some scalping.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

With three 60-61in Z's ranging from 700-1500 hours the most common issues are keeping air in all the tires (especially the fronts) and idler pulleys (there's always one on its way out)