ZTR Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poneal, Apr 14, 2003.

1. poneal

poneal LawnSite Member

I am starting to research ZTR mowers for residential use and wanted to get opinions from the experts. I have a 4 acre lot with lots of trees (don't mow it all). Because of the trees, I think I am going to stick with a 52/54 inch deck. I have read up on the JD M655 (25hp/54" deck), Scag Tiger Cub (23hp/52" deck) and ExmarkLazer Z (20hp/52" deck). What are your opinions/recomendatins on these three mowers.

I live in a small town that only has a deere and Scag dealer. The Exmark dealer is 1 hour away. How much should I let this influence my decision?

Thank you.

2. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

i have owned both john deere and exmark units , and have had good luck with both. the exmark is a great larger machine for residential mowing (great cut). the dealer thats 1 hr. away should only be a concern if you are not small engine expierienced. excluding that, most replacement parts can be ordered by catalog or online. good luck.

3. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

If you are thinking about a John Deere M655 you might consider the John Deere 700 series either a 737 or 757. The new series JD mowers are a lot stronger than the old M series. I have owned the M series mowers and the 700 series are much stronger with the Kawasaki engines. I am currently using the John Deere 757's and I have been very pleased with them.

www.johndeere.com

"Nothing Runs Like A Deere" :blob2: