ZTR question: Steering-

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CWG, Mar 31, 2005.

1. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Looking at various ZTR's and not being able to test drive them a question.
    The tensioning on the arms are different on a few of them.
    Some seem to return to neutral if you let them go in forward or reverse, and others seem to go nuetral from reverse but not forward-
    1) is this a cruise controlish feature so you dont have to keep such a constant pressure for hours on end?
    2) If you let go of one arm do you start going off in that direction?
    Thanks- CWG

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its been a while since i've driven my gravely 260Z... (damn that long winter!) but i can take a hand off one and it will track straight for a moment but then it will start to slow down on the one side. my handles are spaced together so that i can grab both with one hand in the middle if i straddle it. It doesn't take a lot of strain to hold them in their position if you have the arm rests and seat position set properly.

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Its been my experience that the ones that roughly stay were you put them untill touched again are much easier on the arms. The toros, buntons, bobcats, exmarks, that I have used were like that. I had a deere and demoed a gravely and they took much more effort. Not a big deal untill the end of the day. That's when you notice it. On the other hand, it might save some time at the gym.

4. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Save time at the gym, but not the doc (carpal) LOL
    Ok, so I wasnt nuts then. I thought it was my imagination. :dizzy:

5. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

First time on a Exmark Z today and it was a bit troublesome at first trying to find neutral. The arms didn't seem as if they returned but then again it was my first time.