Ztr question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rocko24, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Rocko24

Rocko24 LawnSite Member
    from ks

One of my jobs this summer is taking care of a 6 field baseball complex. The complex is wanting to buy a new mower for it's outfield and infield mowing. They have asked me to help pick out this mower, and being fairly new to this business ,I would like to hear from some veteran mowers on what they would recommend for this type of job. The 60' deck is the market we are looking into . Thanks for your thoughts.

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Bobcat 60 or 72 inch deck. They are for me a great reliale mower.

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many choices out there, it'll drive you crazy. And you'll get about 50 answers with about 50 different mowers listed, according to personal preference. Can you narrow the criteria a little more? Do you want speed (Dixie Chopper or many of the mid-mount mowers). Do you want the ability to add attachments - front mount mower such as Grasshopper. If service is a concern, what dealers do you have in your area? I think if you'd answer these questions, you'll narrow it down a bit and get more usable responses.

Randy

4. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Rocko24,
    Are you planning on doing any fancy striping on these ball fields?
    Will this be a mower just for the ball fields or for your use at other accounts as well?
    Several Parks and Rec. dept. in this area use Toro gang mowers in the outfields, I’m not sure if they use them in the infield as well or use a smaller machine but they don’t stripe with the gang mowers to the best of my knowledge, for that you want a 72”ZTR
    With a striping kit. The choice is yours, but many people on this site would tell you Exmark or Toro.
    Good Luck on your decision, just keep in mind dealer support if it’s the only machine you’ll have!
    Brian

5. Rocko24

Rocko24 LawnSite Member
    from ks

Thanks for your response,
    no fancy striping is needed.
    We have both an Exmark and Grasshopper dealer within the area.
    Not sure if we would go with a mid-mount or front-mount, what is the major difference with these two machines? for this type of job?

This mower will only be used for this complex. 2 of the 6 have grass infields the others are outfield only mows.
    so between Exmark and Grasshopper what would be your choice?
    Between mid-mount or front what would be your choice?
    Thanks again- Rocko

6. Rocko24

Rocko24 LawnSite Member
    from ks

Forgot to mention that there is a Ferris dealer within 15 miles, but have no idea on their product. Thanks again

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

The mid-mount would probably be quicker. The front mount, between those 3 only Grasshopper has a front mount to the best of my knowledge, would be better for trimming under trees, etc. Probably not much call for that on ball fields. The front mount does have the advantage of having attachments, such as an areator, shielded sprayer, blade and so on. I would think for your application the mid-mount would be the choice. I like Grasshopper, but most on here will probably recommend the Exmark.

Randy

8. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Ditto, Mid-mount Exmark Lazer Z 60" or 72"
    or a similar setup by Toro, their new Turbo Force deck is as good or better than Exmarks Ultracut deck.

Brian

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

On a flat area such as a ball field they all perform about the same.So you should just decide on which dealer is the best and who will give the better deal.

10. Rocko24

Rocko24 LawnSite Member
    from ks

Thanks guys for your input