Ztr Quit On Me??? Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stonedawg, Jul 27, 2006.

1. stonedawg

stonedawg LawnSite Member

Mowing yesterday and my 22hp kohler commander just stopped. Dead. Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens, no click or anything. So I think its electrical, what do you guys think?? Everything on the mower seems to be intact. You guys are the pros!! any ideas? Solenoid?? I am @ a loss!!!!

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I've had my coil quit on me on my Kubota and it died like that. But you don't have an external coil. Did you turn off your blades and reset everything so your safety switches will not interfere with it turning over?? Trace your wiring for anything loose. Check the wire on your starter and solonoid that will kill em sometimes too. I pulled on mine and it fell apart off the starter when I broke down last time.

3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Also check the fuse.

4. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Might also want to check the oil and see if it was low may have a low oil shut off, I would check the fuses also

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Low oil or overheating may be it, thats easy to check though. So many possibilities for what happened, if your not technical and cant trace it, to the shop it goes.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Was the machine operating erracticly in any way (noise, vibration, smell) prior to its quiting?

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

When you hit the key is does absolutely nothing? No clicking no nothing?

8. VegetiveSteam

My apologies. I missed where you did say it didn't click or anything.
    Do you have a voltmeter you can put on the battery and see if it has any charge in it at all? If by chance your charging system isn't working the engine would run until the battery is drained and that would leave you with a completely dead system. If the battery is dead, disconnect it and put a nice slow charge in it. After you have a well charged battery in the unit you can do troubleshooting on the charging system.

9. stonedawg

stonedawg LawnSite Member

Posted yesterday about my mower just quitting on me. After working on it all afternoon yesterday, I replaced a blown fuse, checked all electrical and still, when I turn the key, the flywheel moves about a 1/2 inch. The starter is engaging. Could my motor be siezed up? I find it hard to believe because it only has 300 hrs on it and it quit on me with no warning whatsoever while I was mowing. No noise, it was like the saftey cutoff cut the engine off. It made no noise, it just shut off. If it siezed, wouldn't their be some smoke, banging, or something? Sorry this is so long? Thanks so much for your opinions!!

10. VegetiveSteam

Take the spark plugs out of it and see if you can turn it over by hand. If it turns freely it's not seized. It would be a little unusual for it to just lock up with no indication at all but not impossible. Have you pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level?