ZTR quit on me!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fcl01, Aug 2, 2006.

1. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Another great day. While mowing a friends place today, my Bob-Cat quit suddenly. The clutch was very hot when it quit. Now I can't get it going. I've tried everything I can think of to get it started but nothing has worked. Battery seems fine and all of my safety switches seem to be operating correctly. The starter turns the engine easily when I put a screwdriver to the solenoid but has no spark. Something is making it think it is not "allowed" to start. I am thinking either the key switch is stuck (internally) in the off position or the PTO clutch is fakked and is telling the mower not to start because it thinks the blades are engaged.
    Is my thinking in the ballpark on this or am I totally missing something, and,
    is there any way to completely by-pass all the garbage on the machine so I can at least move it? I'm totally stumped.:hammerhead:

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

READ THIRD THREAD IN THIS FORUM AND REPOST.Did you also check the fuses ?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Even a brand engine is better than nothing, But model numbers would be the ultimate.

4. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

LOL!! OOOOPS!
    I did a search earlier and read through the recent threads but completely missed the fuses.
    Anyway, I got it started and back home but the clutch is grinding. I have to let it cool before I mess with it. But it seems that's what caused it to stop and blow a fuse.
    Now the daunting task of getting that clutch off.;)

BTW Rob, sorry I wasn't specific in my original post. It's a briggs intek 18hp. twin OHV. But I guess it's irrelevant now. LOL:waving:

Thanks guys.

5. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

If clutch isn't shorted then Restrorob can give you the test procedures for it and possibly adjust the air gap to correct the high amp draw that may have blown fuse.

6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I think the clutch is shot. The bearing is pretty chewed. I went on Warner Electric's website and poked around and they recommend replacement of the unit. I'm not sure if I can just replace the bearing or not. Have to keep looking.:)

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you hear a grinding noise then it isnt the clutch itself it is the clutch bearing. Have fun getting that sucker off of there :realmad:

8. Restrorob

Check and see if yours is like this one, You may be able to just replace the bearings. Most NAPA auto stores have these bearings if not can get them.

[​IMG]

9. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I took some pics of it. I don't know if I can replace the bearing or not.

10. Restrorob

I would say not, Looks pretty toasted. Just replace the whole thing......