ZTR rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

OK, before you start laughing at the title, give me a chance to present my case.

This is my first leaf season with a ZTR (JD 717A, 48" deck). I have used an Exmark 36" w/b for many years, and found that reverse motion across a row of leaves is quite effective to mulch them down. But, after this first week of leaf work, I can see the back/forth pattern of the ZTR is very effective for moving leaves across a yard.

But, I keep wanting to look in a rear view mirror to see where I am going in reverse. With a seat belt, and a not-very-flexible neck (age takes its toll), I am wishing for better guidance during the reverse direction.

Anybody have any ideas on what to use? I see no place to mount a small automotive type mirror. I wear glasses (trifocals, no less). One idea that has been suggested is an attachment that bicycle riders use on their glasses. Has anybody tried this?

I know, more practice will make it easier and I expect to get better. My best approach is to look down to the side and try to keep a measure from the last wheel mark.

++++++++++++++

Mods: Sorry, posted in the wrong place, please move to Commercial Mowing. Thanks.

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

get a big convex style mirror with a arm like on e that goes on the frt fenders of a school bus or semi rig

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I never gave any thought to the seat belt thing, because I've never used a seatbelt. But now that you mention it, I can see how it would be a hinderance.

4. twj721

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Just wondering ? new idea?

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It will vibrate to much

6. twj721

can not really be more than on a fender of a school bus going down country roads that the driver is reallly going to fast on Been there done that and guilty of that esp when kids are really noisy ,all you want to do is get them off the bus and get back home to the comfort of your A/C
    LOL

7. John Gamba

from ct

There going forwards:laugh: looking backwards:laugh: :waving:

8. twj721

you got it: My wife say my by word is turn around and sit down and keep your feet out of the aisle LOL :clapping:

9. John Gamba

from ct

Sunday morning lawnsaite.com:cool2:

10. twj721

Sorta like the round table at the local resturant for the morning dedicated coffee drinkers LOL