ztr residential?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Apr 9, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys i wanted to know if anyone was running a lazer ct with a 52" deck. I was thinking about getting one for my residential lawns and was wondering if they were any good. Are they under powered at all???Are they worth the money? I am still somewhat small and have never driven a ztr. ANY info would be great!

2. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

I am new to this as well. But I used a buddys 04 Lazer CT 52" with 18 Kohler last week, mowing his dads yard, just to see what a commercial ZTR was like, it was the first mow of the year, should have been the 3rd. Anyway, it did bog down a few times, and although I know it could use a good sharpening on the blades, it did seem under powered. After visiting all the dealers around here, I think I will buy the Grasshopper 223/52". I mowed an overgrown field, ran it pretty fast and left nothing behind. I know this was a brand new mower, but I couldnt believe how well it cut and how smooth the ride was compared to the Laser. I still think my 21" Home Depot HONDA cuts best!
    But it wouldnt have cut that field, not in a day....better yet the 45 minutes the Grasshopper cut it in. He gave me a price of 7200 total.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Lazer CT, isn't this a homeowner mower? It is not built to cut 8hr a day 7 days a week...etc.

4. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

No it is not a homeowner model. I have one and it works fine.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the Lazer CT is a homeowner grade model. The frame is not near as heavy duty as the Lazer and Lazer HP and they have lower grade engines, pumps, motors etc...Smaller wheels too.

All you have to do is put the CT next to the other Lazers to compare and you will see for yourself.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why spend big money on a formula 1 when you've never been on a race track before?

I'm in my 5th year and have never owned a Z. I dream of riding one and actually got to sit in one the other day, but right now it's 48" velke'd Wb's all day long, I can't afford some 7 or 8 thousand dollar luxury that can't even cut every yard I got. The 48" handles anything under an acre and actually outruns the Z on these lots, the Z is truly cut out for lots an acre or bigger, most residential lots are not that big, thou some are.

You can get a used Wb for a grand, a new fixed deck for 3 thousand, 3300 with the velke.
    Compare that to 7 or 8 thousand for a decent Z, and suddenly it all makes sense.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you are misinformed on your mowing capabilities. Check out this site http://www.scag.com/productivity.html

Just remember walking you are going to get slower after each job. So, by the end of the day the Z is still the winner. But good luck in your business model.

But then again who cares about 2min or 5min on each lawn, when you are only doing 5-7 per day. Try doing 15-30 yards a day and see what that two min or 5min per yard can do for you. Then come back and say my walkie can run with the best of the Z's.

8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^I'd like to take you through my schedule of 1/4 acre residentials and see how well that ztr works. With all the curves, beds, fences, hills, ditches, etc. you'd never make it, and I know this for a fact because I have tried. I don't know why you couldn't do 15-30 lawns a day with a wb, but most of us with them can easily. The least I do in a day is 17.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I think CT is eXmark answer to Hustler mini fasttrak, and accompanying Toro infamous Timecutter Z, such and such. You are right about smaller everything, especially frame, and I doubt the ct can do trailer ramp climbing for blade chane and cleaning cause it might bend the frame as it is not built as strong as HP or full Lazer. No wonder price is a lot less. But the point is it is a Z and definitely a lot more productive than walk-behind and velke.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search. This conversation has been had a zillion times.