ztr savings

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lsylvain, Jan 30, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has kept track of their time savings that they have gotten from ztr. I'm trying to figure if it's worth it for my business or not. Most of my contracts are mostly trimming because of the hills, and I'm not sure if the time I will save will be enough to warrent the extra $ for the ztr over the w/b. I've hear a lot of people say it cut their time in half but I wanted to hear from someone who has actually kept track of their numbers.

thanks guys

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know this will start an arguement/debate, but I find it painfully hard to understand how people have cut their time in 1/2 by using a Z vs. ?...that's unless they were using goats beforehand.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Couldn't have said it better. This is such a hard topic to give the right answer, for which I'm sure I won't, but I will offer my opinion from what I mow. Actually, it all depends on what you mow. I mow all smaller lawns with no lawn larger then 3/4 acre. Since the speed that these can be cut is no faster than 6 to 7mph, which is no faster than a WB with Velky, the ZTR will actually be slower (for me) from the need to K turn the ZTR in order not to divot the grass. Furthermore, being able to detach the velky from the WB, and use the WB as a regular walkbehind, it saves even more time, by not having to park the ZTR and bring out the WB. Just my cents.

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

This might help. I cut one account 8 1/2 ac. was using 2 48' Emarks belt drive. time to do was 2 men 5 hours. How 1 60' Exmark Z. 1 man 4 hours.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thats pretty much the formula that I tell everyone, 2 48"W/B = 1 60"ZTR.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly!!! Z's have there place. For me an Exmark 48" TTHP and steerable sulky work best.

7. Doc Pete

Yes...... I can understand that....when cutting 8.5 acres. Furthermore, the 60" rider, just by it's bigger deck, "should" cut 25/30% faster. However, on a 1/2 acre lot, the 60" rider would actually be slower than just one 48" WB with velky. Plus, on a small lawn, the percentage of actual mowing is little more than 1/2 the total work time. So, even if the 60" machine was the same speed as a 48", the cost and maintainance to run the 60" would not be cost effective compared to a 48". Again, a 60/72 rider has it's advantages, but "what" we mow still is the deciding issue.
    Pete

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I can see it saving time on a large account like that that makes sence because the added deck width and extra speed has time to make a difference.

I don't see how they could make an inpact on the smaller jobs, maby if you were a very large company with tons of work.

I'm figuring that a ztr will cost about $3500 more than a walk behid. That means I have to cut 350 hours of labor at $10/hr. Plus the added cost of maintaining it for it to cost the same as a walkbehind, plus the intrest you would be either paying on the extra $3500 or not earning off other investments.

If I have the machine for say 3 yrs
    that's

$3500 extra cost
    $790 lost intrest income on the $3500
    $1500 in extra maintainance (500 /year just a guess)

total = $5790 more than a walk behind
    You would need to cut 579hrs just to break even.
    193 hours per year
    I get around 25 cuts per year

So you would need to cut 7.7 hours per cut

it doesn't cut down on drive time, load/unload time, Trimming and blowing times. Since the majority of the day is used up in drivetime, loading and unloading I guy doesn't mow for more than 4 hrs a day. so if you cut your mowing time by 38.5% it would be worth it.

Can you cut your time by 38% with a ztr?

9. Doc Pete

Nice Post. We need more ones like this, rather than short "Baloney" type answers. I'm sure this will guy's really think when they buy.........
    Pete

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

that should read week, not per cut