Ztr scrapes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Cjackson1750, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Cjackson1750

Cjackson1750 LawnSite Member

Have any of you ever had this problem. When I back my ztr off of a friends 82"x16 tandem trailer that I am harrowing until mine is finished the back bumper on my new exmark s series hits the ground. I have to put my tt in the back and the ztr in the front and flip the receiver over and run it upside down with the ball on the top. That's the only way it won't hit. I measured the trailer and it sits 19" off the ground to the top of the floor. The gate is 48" tall I don't know what to do with this thing. I am really worried because I just ordered my trailer from the same place this one came from, I didn't notice until I had already ordered it.

2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

When you say flip the receiver over do you mean it's higher or lower than normal? I know most are set up as a drop hitch but I've seen some run the other way.

Does the trailer floor sit level with the ground? I have this happen sometimes if I park on certain slopes and the gate ends up being at a weird angle or the ground right behind it rises up.

3. Cjackson1750

Yeah the drop hitch is flipped over and before I do that the of the trailer appears to be level with the ground.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it's picture time
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You might need to add a foot to the gate. I have an enclosed trailer that has about a 6' gate on it and sits roughly as high as yours does. My problem isn't on the street side but where the gate meets the trailer. Sometimes the deck rubs (front of trailer is dropped from broken truck leaf springs).

A slightly longer angle would alleviate the problem. Not sure what you're trailer looks like exactly but if its an open steel trailer it shouldnt be hard to accomplish.

There could be some other problem too that you're not seeing and thus would change how to handle it. I agree, pics are worth a thousands words here.

6. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

The Exmark lazers have way low ground clearance under the engine anyway which doesn't help the situation.

I run a Gravely and tested a Lazerz X and got stuck when I went to go up a hill, the bottom of the engine caught the ground and picked the wheels right off the ground. Compared to my Gravely 460 the Lazer has 3-5" less clearance under the engine, I'm estimating, I didn't actually measure it.

But as already stated the easiest way to help this is to add a longer gate and make the gate angle less than it is dropping off the trailer, or as you did raise the tongue of the trailer via hitch adjustment. I run a 1" rise on my hitch normally.

7. Cjackson1750

I called the trailer place today and he said he could check and if they hadn't finished it yet that he could add a dovetail to it, but I think I would rather have the straight floor and then add to the gate. I was planning on adding a gate assist anyway.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

What's the drop on the ball anyway? On our trucks one has a 3.5" drop and the Lazer's don't scrub and the other truck has to have a 2" drop or else they will scrub. Both are duallys with flat beds, but one sits a little higher.

9. Cjackson1750

Man I think it is 2" the thing is the trailer was sitting level.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Ours at 3.5 is level and it scrubbed... Had to go 2" to kick the rear end down a little... Exmarks are built low and that's a good thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device