1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR Selection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mh1314, Mar 3, 2003.

1. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've been doing residential for the past three seasons, just using walk-behinds. I'm considering getting about a 48-52 inch ZTR to work larger areas and speed up work. I've been looking at low hour mowers, mainly Ex-Mark, Great Dane and Dixie Chopper. Dealer repair is fairly close by on these machines. Any comments on any or all of these......:blob2:
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Demo, Demo, Demo. Different machines do differently in different conditions. Personally, I'd go with Exmark, they make one heck of a machine. Good Luck!
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Find several of the main brands in your area. Demo them on YOUR properties. That is the only way to truely know.
  4. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Both replies say to demo well that would be great to do. The dealers around here do not allow you to demo. I want to demo some and they will not do it because it's new stuff and they don't want to loose the money by selling it as a demo. I would rather be able t demo it before buying but they will not do it here.
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the dealer can get their distributor to bring in a machine for the demo.

When I was looking, the Toro dealer arranged a demo that the distributor supplied.

Might ask the dealer about that, that way they aren't taking a new machine out of their stock.
  6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

If you can wait that long....

Demo all you want on anything you want!!!!!
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I sent an email off to someone that might can help you get a demo.
  8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the middle of the demoathon myself, as far as the size you want, I have heard the eXmark lazer z hp is really good. I can't demo Bill's because he's afraid I'll mess it up!:D JKN
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You probably have already heard from eXmark by now. I did. I just wanted to tell people how eXmark works, and why I say they are awesome for customer service.

I sent an email off to an eXmark factory rep this morning about the above post. I asked him to try to help with a demo. Remember I am in Memphis also. Holloway is in TX. At 1pm today I got a call I didn't answer. Then it called again. I was with a customer. When I check the message it was a distributor in TX calling me to set up a demo. Then he called again to tell me he saw it was me asking to have it handled for someone else. He said he would contact Mr. Holloway immediately to set up a demo for him. I sent 1 email to a factory rep in MS and by 1pm a distributor was already trying to set up a demo in TX. Now that is fast and really does tell a lot about how things are done. Just thought everyone would like to see how customer service is done.