ZTR - side discharge or mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nick21, Jul 21, 2006.

1. nick21

nick21 LawnSite Member

posted yesterday about poor quality cut when mulching...also the time advantage of mulching is wasted and THEN some w/the double cutting

the question is how much cut quality will the normal commercial ZTR loose when mulching? What do you prefer and why?
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Side discharge only for us. I can honestly say I have never seen anybody mulch with a commercial mower in this area. The grass grows to fast and is to thick to mulch here. It would bog down the mower and you would have to double and tripple cut everything.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I mulch down here. Cant say that I have tried side discharging too much because changing baffles is a PITA but all my lawns look great when mulched.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've side discharged for the entire time I've been in business and I just switched to mulching this year and it was the best thing I've done. I will probably never go back to side discharging. I'm not double cutting nearly as much as I used to and having 2 trim sides is very nice. Clean up is also greatly reduced because grass isn't blowing all over the side walks and driveways. I have a Gravely 260Z with a 25 HP Kawasaki and I would love to have an Exmark XS and put a mulch kit on it, something that is a proven mulcher with loads of power. :weightlifter:
  5. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Have a Turf Tiger & been going back in forth in my mind with the mulch or side discharge decision . . . You just sold me on mulching . . how?

Two trim sides for a newbie is a definite selling feature . . . .
  6. jtkplc

Cool...hope the Scag mulches good and it works out for you. What engine do you have on your Turf Tiger? Just looking at their website and looking at the engine options, the 35HP Vanguard on a 61" would be freaking sweet for mulching!
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Side discharge always for us. The only time we will mulch would be in the fall and spring dealing with leaves.:)
  8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Demo a Hustler with the xr7 deck and a mulch kit. Even the 66" deck mulches bettter than my Lazer Z Ultra Cut deck. Very impressive mulchers.
  9. jtkplc

If I wanted to spend money on a new mower right now I would already probably have a 60 or 66" XR-7 with a 28 EFI, hydraulic deck lift, and a mulch kit!
  10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

You won't need the hydraulic deck lift. That should save you enough to buy the mower ....:laugh: