1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ztr size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosolar, Feb 24, 2005.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

to those of you who own ztr riders, do you recommend a 52 or 60in? I am a solo operator and the lawns are gennerally 1+ acres. If i am going to purchase a expensive ztr I don't want is use to be so restrict because of its size. But if i get a 52 in, then it seems like it would not be that much more product then my current 48in stander. Any advise would be great.
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

What size trailer do you have?
  3. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

the trailer is only 5ft wide now, but i would have no problem picking up a bigger one if I decided to get the larger mower.

If I purchase a ztr for $ then I want to be able to use it as much as possible. what would be the point of buy a costly mower if it only got limited use. Obiously the 552 could be used in more places then the 60in, but I am not sure that a 52 rider would be that much more productive then my dane, ecspially considering the $ it would cost.
  4. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I believe you answered your own question. IMO, the 52" isn't enough bigger than your 48" stander to warrant the purchase.
  5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What if the 52'' is alot faster than the than your 48'' could you be more productive with speed? :waving:
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say to go with the 60. Thats what we run and we mow some very rough uneven areas and they look pretty good when we're done. We also get into some very tight spaces with them and they are still very manuverable so I say get the 60".
  7. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I bought a 54" before I had any customers. I thought that it was a nice in- between size that I could use for both big and little jobs. As it turns out I only have two properties that I could really use a bigger mower. I have about 6 that I would not use anthing bigger than a 54" on. So the 54 still fits for my business. My growth plans call for another mower in 2006 and it will be at least a 60".
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get the 60" especially for 1 acre plus. If you have very little gates or hillsides, this will be the only mower you will use. You'll rarley use a w/b with a 60"
  9. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the replies. anyone who runs into a good deal on a rider let me know, even though this is not the best time of the year to find a good deal on a mower.