ZTR stalls w/o brake engaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bill bass, May 5, 2007.

1. bill bass

bill bass LawnSite Member

Hit a metal rod in the yard on my Snapper czt19480kwv. Engine died. Turned off blade , restarted,backed up, engaged blade, engine died. Turned off blade , restarted, and drove it into the garage. Now , it will start with parking brake engaged, but, dies as soon as the brake is released. It also will die (with the brake on) if, I try to engage the blades. I have replaced the blades and they do spin freely. I checked the 4 fuses under the seat and they are all good. The blade was really not that damaged. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I understand this has nothing to do with the blade hitting that rod but it sounds like a classic case of the seat safety switch taking a dump at the same time.

3. bill bass

I checked the switch with a vom. It is normally closed, so I have unplugged it from the seat.

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF normally closed, did you "jumper" the wires?
    Or am I misunderstanding you "backwards?
    IOW, do you consider "normal" to be when you are sitting on it?

5. Restrorob

Some seat switch plug connectors have a switch made into to them that is activated when plugged onto the seat switch. On some of these units you can't just un-plug the seat switch or jump it because this second switch will not be activated.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Are your blades turning freely

7. bill bass

Normally closed- there continuity through the switch until I sit on the seat. When I depress the plunger on the switch, I lose that electrical continuity. That is why I unplugged it. It does sound like the seat switch circuit would cause it. It used to start without the parking brake applied. I currently have the new blades on, but need to loosen them and adjust to torque. I don't know why it won't move under it's own power. Anyone have a wiring diagram ?
    I do appreciate the help.

8. bill bass

I'll take a closer look at the seat switch Monday

9. Restrorob

The red X shows what I was speaking of with the seat switch plug connector.

Good Luck

[​IMG]

10. bill bass

Thanks for the diagram. Aren't they the tricky ones.