1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR tearing up the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was practicing today on a 3 acre lot for a friend of the family to gain experience on my new ztrn. These things are a pain in the ass. I was making some pretty nice size divits. Any pointers on keeping the lawn nice.

I talked to the dealer and he said to make sure that you have equal reverse to equal forward to prevent divits; and it didnt seem to work well. How do ya'll do it with out cutting the grass.
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

*cutting the grass may not have been the best wording for that last sentence, but rather digging holes
  3. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

Trust me,you'll easily learn..In the mean time,do "Y" turns till your used to everything..
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The trick is to not pivot on the inside tire. Keep both wheels moving at all times and you will not scuff the turf.
  5. Jeff Quinn

Jeff Quinn LawnSite Member

Until you get the feel for it, stop completely before turning. Then, start the inside wheel turning backwards first. You'll get the hang of it.
  6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Go slow until you get the hang of it. I've seen a lot of guys think that they are seasoned operators and destroy the grass on every turn. It takes time, just be patient and practice on turf that isn't as high profile. Best of luck, BTW What kind of machine did you choose?
  7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

keep both wheels moving. inside wheel in reverse, outside wheel forward.

this simple answer is not so simple in real life. it takes alot of practice, which you get if you're mowing on it every day. it will be frustating. no two ways about it. even the best of us still makes a divot every once in while. (although some probably won't admit it)
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Use 3 point turns....turn almost 360 degrees, then back up turning the opposite way then go back foward. Takes no time and keeps the lawn free from damage.
  9. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Thats what we do, three point turns....
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What method I use to turn without taking divots depends on the terain of the area where I am trying to turn. Personally I have found that in certain conditions, the mower dictates how it will and will not turn without tearing up the turf.

Assuming the uncut grass is to your left, I use the following ways;
    1 - The backwards 180. Run all the way to the end, then turn to the left while backing up. Basically I'm lining the rear end up to the next pass while swinging the front around to the right direction.
    2 - The Left and 90 zero turn. Run to the end and turn carefully left right into the turn around pass. Once my rear tires are centered in the next pass, I stop and do a true zero turn 90 degrees to the left to line up.
    3 - The 90 zero turn + 90 zero turn. Same as above. But substitute a 90 zero turn or close for the left turn. I do this in areas where the left tire tends to want to 'skid' when I try to turn left. But here the z turn has to be perfect. If the right tire starts first you get the skid. if the left tire starts first it will just spin backwards
    4 - The J turn. At the end loop your turn wide and to the left like you would on a lawn tractor in a J shape. Stop and back in to line up.
    5 - The wiggle. This is for real tender, touchy or easy to divot spots. Turn a little and stop before you twist, skid or spin. then back and turn in the same manner. Repeat wiggling back and forth, back and forth until you get turned around and lined up.

Many combinations and variatios of this can be done. Plus at times you may have to really feather the controls or vary the left and right speed to find the sweet spot. Also lots of times when you stop, you can't come form a dead stand still and do a zero turn withouts spining, twisting or skiding. When that hppens, a lot of times you can get the mower started moving in one direction with both sticks and them feathe into a zero turn.

Hope all that helps. Practice, practice, practice and then still expect to tear the turf once in a while.