1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ztr time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, May 12, 2001.

1. i decided tonight that monday morning i am going to purchase a ztr. i decided on a scag turf tiger. i only cut 16 lawns now. they are not all that big either. i think there are 3 which are 60 a cut every week, 2 that are 50 and the rest are around 30 - 45 a cut. i just said though that i want to be able to do side work more and not have to worry about the grass as much. we did side work all this week and didnt cut a single lawn. tomorow (mother's day) i will go cut my lawn and one other. i figure that if i get this machine it will just sit most of the week except for fridays. i was looking in the landscaper supply catalog and saw this aerator thingy that you can put on the front of the machine though. it is i think 38 inches wide. i will use the machine to cut with on fridays and maybe try to do aeration one day a month or so. the aerator attachment is supposed to be 1500. and i just bid one aeration job for 4,000 so i will do well. am i being stupid here or something? maybe i should just get a second walk behind? like i had said all i have is about 16 or 17 lawns. i wanna grow more though. yet this year i would like to be able to cut all of my lawns in one day with one other person, if not by myself. i figure i can use it on just about all of my lawns.
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a big aeration job, huh?

Anyway, if your looking to get away from lawns and more into landscape construction, maintenance and tree service, invest the money into a dump truck or equipment that will help you move in the direction you want. If you want to be able to take on more lawns in the same amount of time your doing the ones you have now, than go with the ZTR.

Really the choice depends on where you want your business to move in the coming years. In most (not all, I'm not starting an argument! :) ) markets its hard to not offer lawn service in this industry, because people want the full package, ya know?

Well good luck, hope this helps!