1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loganwildman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

I just aquired a ztr to add mowing as a service to our landscaping business and thought I'd try to shorten the learning curve by seeing if anyone would care to share any tips on operation.
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Do not zero turn on turf, master the 3 point turn. Keep your blades sharp, consider an O.C.D.C. to keep grass out of beds walks ect. Keep a check on all your fluids. Keep a check on your airfilter. Just basic checkups. Good luck. What kind of Z did you get?
  3. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Slow down and keep both tires moving while turning.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Match your speed to the turf quality. On high visability high quality areas slow down and make careful turns.

Visually inspect and check the oil at least daily. I've had parts vibrating causing wear and such. Much better to catch them before they cause a problem. I had a heat shield vibrate and wear holes in the valve covers on a ZTR before. My first clue was the smell of burning oil on my muffler.
  5. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

I didn't want to purchase a new one until I had enough clients to justify it, so I found a used Toro Z255 with 60 inch deck. It'll do until this branch of the biz grows.

What is an O.C.D.C.?
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ocdc = operator controlled discharge cover. it keeps crap from goin in beds and sandboxes
  7. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

When doing steep hills, start at the bottom and work your way up from side to side.

When going down steep hills if you believe you are going to slide then go down them backwards not forwards.

Check the gas before you pull away from the trailer, it's a long walk if you're in the back 40 :)
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

3point turn. what exactly is it. sorry for the lame question.
  9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

The 3 point turn is also referred to as a 'Y' turn if that helps you. And that is some strong advice. You can tear up a lawn very fast with a ZTR. I have and still do when I'm not thinking. But, the ZTR is so much more efficient than my old JD tractor. Well worth the investment.
  10. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you get an OCDC?