ztr tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnny v, May 26, 2006.

1. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

bought and rode my first ztr today. Got 90 weeks no interset for a Gravely zt2348xl. Paid 4799 plus tax. Dealer is also selling my 33 inch stealth with bag. Now I see why every one has these, what fun. I use 48 bunton and 32 inch gravely walkbehinds. Just wondering if anyone had any usefull tips I should know. I know its gonna take time to learn how to not tear up the lawn on turns. Thankx

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

When you are turning, DO NOT let the inside tire stop moving.Pull backward a little on the inside control stick or just do a "K" turn.

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Just always keep both wheels turning and you won't tear up anything. They are zero-turn radius mowers, but you can't utilize that feature on a lawn. Also, try to not go up and down steep hills. Go across. That's about it I guess. Just read the manual about maintenance and all that. I guess you know that though...you look like you've done this for awhile.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Kinda curious why you got a home owner model?

5. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

30 hours a week

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

30 MOWER hours a week, or total working hours a week? You are looking at about 900 hours a year if those are mowing hours. That machine will be toast! Good luck with it though, everybody treats equipment different.

7. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

30 hours of work a week maybe 10 hours a week on ztr.

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's probably not too bad then. Good luck this season, let us know how it holds up!

9. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are putting 30hrs a week on a ztr then you are cutting some major yards...i bought my hustler 60/27 at the middle of july last yr cutting roughly 18-24 a week..started this yr april 5th with 22 yds...cutting 54 now for two weeks and i just hit 52 hrs on the mower...i am usually on the z about 6-20 mins per yd...if you put 10 hrs a week on it you should be cutting about 38-62 yds a week...

fubba--if both tires are turning you will still tear the grass...i don't care what anyone says...it depends on the grass and the moisture of it...i mostly do y turns at my passes...

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Eh, so, let me get this straight...your letting go of your Stealth Sutech 33"? :dizzy: I dont get it. Whatever.

:laugh: