1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ztr tire spinning issue on a sloped account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, Dec 9, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Beter use a walk behind, ztrs dont float.
  2. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

umm not sure at the moment. the tires are whatever comes stock with a gravely zt hd 52" w/ 24hp kawasaki. think they are turfmaster?
  3. cdjones

cdjones LawnSite Member

We have two of these mowers (52hd)...decent mowers for the money for sure....Tires arent very wide and mowers while good in size and stance are considerably lighter than say your average commercial machine. The tires are 20x10 i believe but dont hold me to that...not great machines for hills at all...we use them on hills at times but we slow way down and go up then back down kind of thing. A walk behind is our friend for the real steep stuff. we have a full size gravely that holds hills a little better going across but still not all that stable...id look at a walk behind.
  4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmmm, What if the slope is too steep for a Z? It doesn't matter what brand of Z you have or what size tire is on it. If it is too steep for the mower there isn't much you can do.
  5. Isenberg Lawn Care

Isenberg Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Could always try out a good set of ag tires
  6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to cut rear tire pressure in half for that hill. May be a pain re-inflating after that stop, but a bigger and softer contact patch may do the trick.
  7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Get some goats, or a 4wd mower or add front brakes from tedbrakes.com
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are Tedbrakes commercially available now? The last I knew they were still trying get some sort of deal going with one or more mower manufacturers to be able to get the cost down because it was cost prohibitive to retrofit an existing mower with them. I think it would be great if they were offered as a factory option and that sales would be brisk.
  9. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

I have a Dixon Mower and have had some of the same issues. The higher tire is always the one that starts to spin. I think all ZTRs will do that to a certain extentnif you are on a slope.
  10. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I have a lot of residentials who have slopes ------ in the Logan Martin Lake area of St. Clair/Talladega counties of AL

On new accounts with slopes---it takes me a while to "get the hang of it" constantly trying to figure out which angle is best