1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ztr tires tearing up the turf?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Apr 29, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Ive tried many stratagies to fix this issue but as hard as I try it still happen from time to time. When you go to turn for your next pass, how do you do it to not dammage ( read grind ) the grass to mud. I never pivot turn in one place but pull to one side and reverse. But on wet ground my ZTR toro tears up tuff so easy, even this doesnt always work. I try not to pull on the side walk or drive way as that often tracks grass and mud onto it which then sticks to the pavement and is hard to get up. I dont cause dammage often, but once can be too much. Im open to any tips.
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

They and we all doit on soft , thin turf. Just change your mowing pattern weekly and give it a chance to grow back. Even a 21 push does it in the soft turf, just not as big of a patch.
  3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah thats what I do, but I just wanted to see if there was any thing else I could try out.
  4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I read in Lawn and landscape Mag. to run your tires 2psi under recommended presure, go with wider tires and a ligher machine. Sence I'm not going to buy another machine with wider tires I lowered the back tires to 8 psi today. It seemed to help some.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

yep I run 7-8 ponds in the rear, these are 24x12x12 tires