ZTR tires turf or bar tread?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

ive noticed a ton of grasshopper machines with the non-rugged bar tread tires, do they tear up the grass more or less and what traction do they loose or offer over normal turf tires?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You know tracter lug tires are going to tear the turf up,they offer a turf type tire also i bought a new 725 front mount good mower but to long ten feet.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have chevrons on my 225 but i would prefer turf tires .

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Heres a link for you to check out. Ive ended up putting some Kenda K500's on now. They are only slightly better than Turf Masters for grip but tear turf on sparse grass's. I will see how they go into our up coming season whne the grass is growing flat out to see if they work for me or not.
    The AT101's have been the best grip by far but also tear turf easily.
    Anyway, have a read....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=118630&page=7&highlight=Bar+Tire

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The AT101's are by far the best tires. You cannot run a midmount ztr with turf tires. The bar treads are the best. I can't stand sliding down a modest hill because of the weenie turf tires. If you know how to run your machine you will not tear up the grass. You can tell the good operators from the bad ones real quick. On the front deck grasshoppers, why on earth would you want turfs?

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have AT101's (24x12x12) on my 52" tiger cub, and its great on hills and ditches. I have new homes in nice subdivisions that were built on hill sides with new sod yards, and its the only thing that will not slide off the hills and roll up the sod. Turf tires are useless, especially when they run the sprinklers every morning. But even with the AT101's, you have to go straight up, do a three point turn, and go straight down(slowly). Other things I have noticed, are less rutting with the wider tires, more stability with the clam-shell bagger on, and better ride with 8 psi in the tires. As you can tell, I love my bar treads. Just bought two more for the 60" Exmark.

8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the picture of the hustler the tires are on backwards?

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I did that because thats what there like on the Hustler ATZ, just to try it out. They gave best grip of all but the tearing was terrible. I swapped them back after a week!

PLM, I dont know where the uncalled for snide little remark came from but I just had a look at Joplin MO on Google maps, and it looks pretty flat to me!
    Its one thing to have an opinion, its another to insult someone with it.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

No insults intended. I wish it was flat here. I've run a lot of Grasshopper combinations including turf tires, I just don't understand why somebody would opt for them. They dont ride nice, don't grip and the implements on the front deck mowers don't work as well with them.