ZTR TIRES "wear and tear" ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IndyPropertyCare, Jul 17, 2004.

1. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

I have noticed that on our Lazer Z the tires ( rear ) are wearing at what I think is an extremly fast rate, it has the dogbone type tread. It also looks as if the right side is wearing faster than the left side. The other Lazer ZHP has a more tractor type turf tread and there seems to be very little wear on those tires. Fronts on both units are the smooth type inflatable and seem to have normal wear / use.

Anyone else notice or experience this on their ZTR mowers ?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I had a set of tires on my 1st stander. They wore right out. Like 50 hours. I replaced them with the new tires that come on the stander. Which have 500 hours on them and still look new. I wish I could remember the name of the tire. Post a picture of the tire. I could tell you real quick if they are the same ones.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got 500 hours on the stock tires that came on my Walker and they still look new.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

You will only get about 500 hours use from the "dog bone" tires. They are gentle on the turf, but wear fast. The newer style tires on the Lazers wear very well. I have almost 1400 hours on current set. They will last another 500 easy.

5. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys....I really thought there would be alot more input to this subject.

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 02 60" Lazer Z.

I called the dealer to get two tires the other day and told him that I only have 450 hours on it and he said that Exmark started putting on a different style of the Carlisle tires and they are lasting a lot longer than the tires that are on mine originally.

7. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have the same mower (Feb 02) with 600 hours on it and the rear tires look almost new.

BTW, how do you tell if a slick front caster tire is worn bald?

Just kidding!

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are those "dogbone" tires Carlisle Turf Mates by chance?????

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly how do you know? I mean do you just wait for a blow-out or for the tire to wear so thin it looses shape?

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

When the belts start comeing thru .