ZTR towing capacity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac B., Oct 7, 2006.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper has a 2,000 tow rating. Some of the red mowers have a 100 pound rating. I pull a drag harrow, boats on trailers, yank small trees and bushes out of the ground etc. with my Dixie.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the ZTR he wants...There are varying degrees of hydrostatic pumps both in quality and ability...The HD one pulling trees is a light duty pump where as the TANK is built beefier with higher quality/ability pumps...but not to tow things with...but to run daily...Towing...depending on how often and how much weight each time...with a commercial unit...in a homeowner environment...would be the safest way to go IMHO...But then again I couldn't imagine using anything less than a tractor to tow enough wood to justify getting the thing (tractor OR ZTR) out of the garage or barn...

3. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Man's law # 681

Man must AWAYS get out his toys from the toy shed to haul wood or anything else.

4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

The manual for my itty bitty 1434 Gravely says 300 lbs max... check the owners manual

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, my Warrior 60" lists towing capacity in the manual but it has dual electric fans for the hydros. The capacity: UP to 500 lbs. but it also says it's not made for it, short distances, not recommended but if you HAVE to then we can't stop you, etc...

p.s.: Wood is HEAVY, I can hardly cover the floor of my 6x12 trailer with wood before it has reached it's weight limit.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks topsites....

Dunno how many times I have explained the BDP[ in BDP10 or BDP12 stands for BANTAM DUTY PUMP

You can tow a little with them, particularly on favorable terrain... but they are not made for it.

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to keep the tractor as a tow unit and buy a ztr for strictly mowing. If that's completely not going to happen, then just take twice the loads at half the weight.

8. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to tell him the bad or good news however he looks at it. I told him just to keep the mower he has now it already has a 60" deck.

Thanks Mac

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my eXmark Lazer 60/27 to tow my wifes tahoe the other day....

Her battery was dead and I had to move it to the front of my truck to give it a jump. It towed it pretty easy.

I have also used it to pull a walk behind that went head first over the edge of a pond on a pretty steep piece of embankment...

10. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

Hate to say this, I used my Kubota zd-21 to pull my F-250 and trailer out of a slick yard twice. I couldn't get traction with the truck so I hitched the
    zd and pull it about 10 ft. i went and bought a 4x4 truck.