ZTR towing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green814, Jan 16, 2005.

1. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I currently use my craftsman gt to pull my trailer from behind the garage. I was wondering if anyone use's their ztr to move the trailer-how big of a trailer do you move. I currently have a 6.5x10, but NEED a bigger trailer. Will be 14 or 16 ft. Any info is helpfull. I know I have to be carefull due to ZTR being "heavy" so to speak in the rear. No sudden starts.

Chris

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You should be able to tow your trailer empty with you ztr easily.

3. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I thought I should be ok,even w/ the bigger trailer when I get it. But I also know manufactures (Toro & Exmark) say 80 lbs. for towing. I figured it is a safety number so you dont tip the machine backwards. It should be easier where I park my trailer w/ the ztr.
    Thank you
    Chris

4. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

i pulled my 16' trailer once. 2000 some pounds with my walker. Pretty hard turning but going straight was not too hard

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use my 6x4 Gator to pull my 16'er into storage behind my garage. It has no trouble pulling it.I use to use the truck, but I had to wait until the ground was frozen rock hard. While using the truck, I would have to drive a few feet on the neighbors lawn. No big deal, but out of respect I didn't like crossing the property line with the truck.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

jUST CURIOUS,WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PULL A 16' TR. WITH A ZTR? :alien:

7. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Because he needs to put it in an area where the truck could never fit

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I would not want to put that much weight on the hydro pumps. I do not think the tongue weight has too much to do with it.

Are you getting rid of the craftsman, Just keep that to park the trailer.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have pulled our 60"Tank out of the mud severel times with our 72" tank. It's hard to beleive what they can do!!!!!!!!

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree and I will suggest nothing more. But I will offer this bit of info for you to interpret as you wish....

For example, Hydro Gear BDP 10 Pump..... BDP stands for "Bantam Duty Pump"