ZTR turning sug.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 21, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just picked up my new ferris IS on monday and i was practicing in my lot but i was wondering how any of you guys got good at turning wtih out tearing up the grass. I do it slow but i was wondering if you guys had any sugestions or tips. Seasons coming quick and iam going out of town for a week and want to prepare before i come back from vacation.

2. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

3 point turn. Do a search someone even posted a graphic. If you try to turn in one spot you'll always tear the grass, especially with new tires.

3. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

yea a three point turn is what i was thinking but i thought that would just eat up alot of time. but i dont want to eat up alot of grass.

Jason

4. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

When turning try running tires in opposite direction "drive one wheel forward and reverse the other" instead of letting on wheel just sit and rotate. This works for me on some lawns others I do a wide turn or a three point turn.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

3 point turn, triangle turn, both of them in reverse, 4 point turn in tighter places, all are fast once you get used to them but they prvent you from losing accounts from turf tear.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

hoffman is right. to turn fast with min. tearing if any one wheel goes forward while the other in reverse. secret is to turn wheels at all times. you will get used to it.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

try this..

mower turning arrows.jpg

8. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm missing the big picture here boys but what is the point of owning a Z if you're still making a three point turn at the end of a run? This wastes the time you hoped to gain with a Z, as mentioned above keep all the wheels turning this will minimize turf tear.:)

9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Practice & more practice, thickness of the turf, moisture, speed, soil composition all have a bearing on resistance or ease of tear.
    If you are on a fussy customers lawn work the 3 point turn until you are confident and capable of executing a true zero.. As you know there is almost nothing worse than brown spots at the end of great stripes.
    BobR

10. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Thanks to all,

MacLawn thanks for the picture i have been practicing on my parking lot and my own lawn. But i think i am getting the hang of it. It will also not tear up as much when the ground is a little more dry and the grass is green.

Thanks again
    Jason