ZTR v/s ZT Front Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I know mid mounts are more popular these days. But everyone let your opinions fly anyways.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Front mounts have a LOT of a s s -end to swing around, 2 more tires, longer, usually heavier.

While never owning a front mount ZT, I have owned Front MOUNT mowers with steering wheels.

They are not too good at going UP hills, but good at driving DOWN them.

Opposite can be said for ZTR's.

With todays advancements and engine selection on mid mount ZTR's, I see no real advantage in front mounts.

3. To add to above...

The twin stick ZTR's are not much better than the steering wheel.

More manuverable but same for climbing.

Once you get to mastering the machine you mow with, you can find ways to get it to do many things you never thought of at first.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I ran a Walker on very small residentials for about 500 hours, and the rear swing is not a problem once you learn to drive it. It is a little easyer to to run the 42" Walker on some of the really small lawns, compaired to a 48" walk behind. I have never ran a mid mount, and probally will never need one. I plan on another Walker someday.:D

5. Like I trying to say above, once you master your main mower, others don't camapre.

On the other hand, me on a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer and you on your Walker, I will be faster due to 10" more.

Now for you guys who think you need a out front to get under tree.

www.flex-deck.com or visit the Flex-Deck forum on Lawnsite.

Once you train your lawns with the mower you use, you will know what get's trimmed and what does not, where your mower will go, and where it wont.

6. Envy Lawn Service

I thought there would be more people to jump on this thread. Where are the rest of the Walker and Grasshopper owners at???

Let's try to keep this rolling.

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have been down these roads before.
    I owned all but the rear steer three wheeler ( but a 20 minute demo let me know that it wasn't for my app.)

Personal preference is Walker and walkbehind for the very steep sidehills.
    You know the kind with a retaining wall to fall off of at the bottom or a pond, trees/gravestone etc.

I will in the future add a midmount bak to my quiver for the wide open places, so I don't have to switch decks as often.

Demo Demo Demo

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my first was a front mt. it was great but the midmounts are an improvement imho.
    my chief complaint was it got stuck too easy. still put dn an excellent cut tho.
    i did like the flip up deck.

9. Envy Lawn Service

I gotta tell ya, I saw a Grasshopper front mower today between jobs. I was on my way by to pick up another set of Gators when I saw a guy mowing with it next door at the new bank.

It was a 700 series with dual tail wheels. This guy was mowing across this bank with it out back. Now when I say bank, I mean BANK!!! I don't even think my equipment would have stayed on it any way I wanted to go. I really wish I had thought to take a pic with the digital because I had it with me today. But I was so amazed I slipped my mind alltogether.

Anyone have one of these Grasshoppers? Or any other equipment that will take on seriously steep terrain?

10. Can you see the hill in the back ground?

I cut it while wetter than............

gs 2.jpg