ZTR versus WB in wet conditions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by High Humidity, Jul 25, 2005.

1. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

I was playing soccer this weekend with another LCO owner and we got to talking equip. He says that in Fl. on St. Augustine grass you just can't get on it with a ZTR if it's wet. That is his primary reason for going with 52 in. WB's. I'm just starting and currently have a Hustler super Z 52in. He says I will need a WB for when it's wet.
    Will some of you PRO'S please shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know about your type of grass, but on fescue, zoisia, the ztr will slide and tear up the turf if it is good and wet.

On hills, there is no doubt that the walk behind is far better for holding them...

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One simple factor to consider is you can always walk the wb, but the ztr does not lend itself for this. Also it further depends on the weight as I prefer the fixed deck because the floating decks wb get stuck in the mud righteous too.

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

USUALLY ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE, BUT IN EXTREMES SUCH AS SUPER THICK GRASS, VERY THIN MUDDY LAWNS , OR BIG SLOPES ITS IS NICE TO HAVE A HIGH POWERED W/B. I DONT MOW ANYMORE BUT WHEN I DID I TRIED LIKE HELL NOT TO CUT RIGHT AFTER A RAIN...........UNLESS THE YARDS I HAD TO DO HAPPENED TO BE THE LOWER $$$ :rolleyes: JOBS I ALWAYS SCHEDULED FOR EARLY IN THE WEEK. GOT ANY SHRUB WORK OR WEED PULLING TO DO TO FILL IN A FEW HOURS TILL IT DRIES OFF A LITTLE ?

5. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

Great answers to my questions. Where I live it tends to drain quickly (lots of sand underneath turf), however I can see the need possibly for a solo to have at least 1 WB as a backup when the rain is relentless. I was just under the impression that the Hustler ZTR footprint was big enough to keep it from mushing down in a somewhat wet yard. It has rained alot lately, but the yards are sucking it up quick.
    Thanks again for the help.