ZTR versus WB in wet conditions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by High Humidity, Jul 25, 2005.

1. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was playing soccer this weekend with another LCO owner and we got to talking equip. He says that in Fl. on St. Augustine grass you just can't get on it with a ZTR if it's wet. That is his primary reason for going with 52 in. WB's. I'm just starting and currently have a Hustler super Z 52in. He says I will need a WB for when it's wet.
    Will some of you PRO'S please shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

By my experiences, although a ZTR has larger/wider tires, the weight of it on a wet lawn tends to create larger ruts than with a WB. Just my experience.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I lived in orlando and had my own business. I had a walker, and two exmark ztrs no problems in the wet.... gotta rememebr sand does not compact like the northern soils... if a ztr leaves a rut, so will a WB. Just remeber to keep changing your mow pattern. we all know how well the St Augustine ruts when its dry...

4. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

It is heavier, yes, but I use the weight to roll out the ground and get whatever ruts that had started out. Basically I use the tires as rollers and roll out the entire lawn if it is really wet. This takes time but think of the way it looks if you cut your lawn 10 times :) .