ZTR vs. a big honk'in w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 22, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We are getting a new larger mower for 2007. I already ordered a Exmark Lazer HP w/a 50" deck and yes we changed our minds from a 23 Kawi and got the Kholer 27hp. My dealer said I will have a little "pocket rocket" with tons of power, ya ya ya, I asked him well how much for the 60 TT thats an 04 left over with no hours on it, he said I think, 5800.00 vs. the ZTR at 8200.00 But my question is how much time am I going to save with this rider (50") vs. this TT (60"). I only demoed one rider and that was this past season and to be completley honest, I was too nervous to really take note of how much time I saved. He tells me I will save at least half the time. Thanks for helping out a :confused: lawn care brother, lol.

2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how much time you save, but I would buy a 60" ZTR, that is the way to go IMO..

How much agrivation would it save you? If I were you, ALOT.. I hate w/b's and I would probably drive it into a river somewhere and report it stolen to the insurance within 3 weeks of use if it were my primary mower...

my $.02

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

With the TT being 10" wider (per pass), the 50" rider won't save you ANY more time. The TT has a ground speed that is every bit as fast as what you mow with, anyway. Put a 2 wheeled solid mount pivoting sulky on, and you are gonnne. Not only that, but as crazy as it sounds, the wb turns around faster (with one stroke) than the rider does a 3 or 5 point turn.

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

He's probably right, but I hate w/b's so bad..

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The 60 inch WB is much faster. I've had both.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You never ran a Turf Tracer.

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Both are useful.... the question is...do you like to SIT or STAND all day???:rolleyes:

I have both and I try to use the ZTR every chance I get!

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

After running both a 52" hydro wb, and a 52" rider, I was more pleased with the wb than the rider. The rider did not seem to be any faster. I have been doing just fine with the wb.

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have the opposite set-up that are describing- I have a 60" Lazer and a 48" TTHP. I can tell you that the TTHP is a great machine but the Lazer is hands down the faster, more maneuverable, and more enjoyable machine to use. Not to mention FASTER!!! It not only cuts down on time but you will also feel a lot better at the end of the day. Your hands will not be anywhere near tired. The only thing that a walkbehind does better than a rider, in my opinion, is that it holds better on hills.

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If I weren't such a lazy butt, I would have another 60+ inch walkbehind. They save alot of money over a rider and usually the deck is the same deck so the cut should be the same. Riding on a sulky makes it not too bad and you get a smoother ride standing than being bounced around to death on your butt sitting on a rider.

One of my hang up's is I like to do alot of reverse cutting - to mulch leaves, or to use the mower as a blower to help blow leaves or grass clippings. A walkbehind just doesn't do the job in that area, but otherwise, a walkbehind with a velkie or sulkie will be the job just as fast.

I may just keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used 61 inch walkbehind over the winter to use some next year. I see alot of reasons it would be good for me....

One other thing bad about riders, is on hot summer days sitting on that hot seat, your butt sweats and your other area does too, and there is no fresh air to keep you cool or dry, you end up with rashes and foul odors..... I haven't seen it discussed here since I have been on Lawnsite, but I bet alot of people know just what I am talking about!